+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I open a bank account in Canada on a tourist visa

Krunal@017

Aug 19, 2023
Can a visitor visa person get a sin number in Canada……. And any probability of opening an bank account in Canada on a tourist visa

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can a visitor visa person get a sin number in Canada……. And any probability of opening an bank account in Canada on a tourist visa
You cannot get a SIN number. You can try but I don’t know of the major banks as you need SIN, Canadian address. Maybe some fo the online banks. Why do yo need a Canadian bank account?

Krunal@017

Aug 19, 2023
You cannot get a SIN number. You can try but I don’t know of the major banks as you need SIN, Canadian address. Maybe some fo the online banks. Why do yo need a Canadian bank account?
In case i want some money in canada from my hometown so i can get it easily right that’s why i have to open an bank account

Or how much cash i can carry in hand as a visitor you have any idea…

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
In case i want some money in canada from my hometown so i can get it easily right that’s why i have to open an bank account

Or how much cash i can carry in hand as a visitor you have any idea…
But if you are a visitor, you are only here for a few weeks/months. You don’t open a bank account (or cannot). When you visit, you use ATMs, credit or debit cards, traveller cheques and some cash. You can carry thousands of dollars but you declare over $10k. It will be one of the customs questions at immigration.

Krunal@017

Aug 19, 2023
But if you are a visitor, you are only here for a few weeks/months. You don’t open a bank account (or cannot). When you visit, you use ATMs, credit or debit cards, traveller cheques and some cash. You can carry thousands of dollars but you declare over $10k. It will be one of the customs questions at immigration.
Thank you

Faroosan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Yes you can open.
I know somebody who opened a bank account on visitor's visa because they wanted to invest in Canada.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Yes you can open.
I know somebody who opened a bank account on visitor's visa because they wanted to invest in Canada.
I opened a new account to put my investments in. I had to provide multiple pieces of ID. SIN. Then had to go in person to SHOW all my identification in person. For investments you must provide a SIN because you potentially could have capital gains or losses , dividends, interest , trust income , all reported to the CRA .
You just can’t walk in to a bank an open an investment account

Faroosan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
The person I know who opened did provide multiple photo IDs (passport and Canadian driver's license) however no sin was required for them as they couldn't obtain it on visitor visa status.

Reactions: Krunal@017