+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I lose PR status by returning to the UAE?

YTchromaso

Jun 20, 2018
I have a job there that still has 2 years left on contract but had to land because I was required to travel before a certain date. Can I lose PR status if I go back to the UAE? Please let me know with 100% certain anwrs

Note: I only lived in UAE for work and it is not my home country. I will never go back to my home country because I am threatened there

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a job there that still has 2 years left on contract but had to land because I was required to travel before a certain date. Can I lose PR status if I go back to the UAE? Please let me know with 100% certain anwrs

Note: I only lived in UAE for work and it is not my home country. I will never go back to my home country because I am threatened there

Has your refugee claim been accepted? Have you applied for PR? Received PR? You have not provided many details.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you can return as long as the UAE accepts your RTD (refugee travel document) which you will need to obtain. Also will have to make sure RTD is accepted by any transit countries. If your job involves travel I would be aware that RTD is not accepted by some countries. The only real issue is the optics of the situation. Leaving Canada to get asylum only to return to the UAE looks bad. Actually given that you had been working in the UAE and had more time on your contract you are quite lucky you received asylum. I do understand that you were only a resident and can not obtain PR or citizenship in the UAE.

If you have a family and they remain in Canada your spouse will have to declare your salary and you would still be a resident for tax purposes. Like to remind people because some people are unaware.

YTchromaso

Jun 20, 2018
Yes you can return as long as the UAE accepts your RTD (refugee travel document) which you will need to obtain. Also will have to make sure RTD is accepted by any transit countries. If your job involves travel I would be aware that RTD is not accepted by some countries. The only real issue is the optics of the situation. Leaving Canada to get asylum only to return to the UAE looks bad. Actually given that you had been working in the UAE and had more time on your contract you are quite lucky you received asylum. I do understand that you were only a resident and can not obtain PR or citizenship in the UAE.

If you have a family and they remain in Canada your spouse will have to declare your salary and you would still be a resident for tax purposes. Like to remind people because some people are unaware.
what if i go by to the uae using my passport rather than using an rtd? i ask this because my passport has my uae work visa. Also, as a PR, it seems that I am not eligible for an RTD or a Certificate of Identity according to this page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/document-types.html

please correct me if im wrong

Note: I never seeked asylum. I was a PSR

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You a private sponsorship refugee so you were sponsored on the basis of needing asylum. You were a protected person before getting PR status. Perhaps you are Syrian and was one of the very lucky refugees who were granted PR on arrival although you were still a protected person first. Was your passport not confiscated on arrival? Yes you qualify for an RTD. You should NOT use your passport. You may be able to transfer the visa or show the work permit but use an RTD.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you were approved as a refugee and that was the reason why you got your PR. Using your original passport can be see as reavailment to your original country.
As a result you can be stripped of your PR.
In case of using your work visa, that result is almost certain.
Good luck.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
what if i go by to the uae using my passport rather than using an rtd? i ask this because my passport has my uae work visa. Also, as a PR, it seems that I am not eligible for an RTD or a Certificate of Identity according to this page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/document-types.html

please correct me if im wrong

Note: I never seeked asylum. I was a PSR
http://ccrweb.ca/en/cessation-basic-information

Information for persons with refugee status (even those who are also Permanent Residents)
Recent changes to the law mean that people in Canada who have refugee (protected person) status can more easily lose their right to remain in Canada and face deportation.

This may concern you if:
  • You have refugee status in Canada because you were accepted as a refugee after making a refugee claim in Canada, or because you were resettled to Canada from another country, and
  • You are not yet a Canadian citizen (even if you are a Permanent Resident)
What is new:
Due to a recent change in the law, you can lose both your refugee status and your Permanent Residence if the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) decides that you accepted the protection of your home country (known as “re-availment”) and therefore that your refugee status should be removed (known as “cessation” of refugee status).

• The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is actively looking for cases in which they can argue that refugees have accepted the protection of their home country.
Actions that may put you at risk
CBSA may argue that you have accepted the protection of your home country if you:

• Travel to your home country (even for a short visit).
  • Travel using the passport of your home country.
  • Apply for a new passport from your home country.
CBSA may make these arguments against you even if you have lived in Canada for many years.