+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I lose my PR if....?

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
Hello everyone,

Can someone please let me know about the following acenasce?

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law came to Canada in April of 2015 after a year they decided to go back home, in fact , they went back in augAug of 2016, which it means that both of them are outside of Canada for about 1 year and 9 months. My question is .. have they lost their Permanent resident status of Canada? Can they still return to Canada as PR?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So the rule is in the initial 5 years since landing, in this case 4/2015 through 3/2020 an individual must be in Canada for 2 years.

So your in laws so far have spent around 16 months in Canada in above 5 year window, so they need to spend just 8/9 months more between now and 3/2020.

So as long as they do this then they will meet their residency obligation but be aware after the first 5 years the 5 years is reset on each entry. What this means is that the initial 16 months from landing will disappear over time on each new entry so they need to keep this in mind longer term.

Basically they are still fine to enter Canada assuming they still have their PR cards, even without they are still entitled as PRs to enter. Only PR cards expire, PR status can only be revoked or renounced.

Given the above timeline though they must be back by around May/June 2019 absolute latest and stay put then through 2020 at least although given the rolling 5 year rule for each entry should plan to stay put for a year or 2 and not leave until they can meet a 2 out of 5 look back each new entry.