+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave Canada without my PR card in hand?

mamoudi

Sep 15, 2011
I’m an investor applicant. My latest submission included medical exams, police certificates, and right for PR fee. Next, I will be asked to make my investment. Then, the visa will be issued. At the recent pace, I expect to land in Toronto next June 2014.
Since I can’t close all remaining business obligations by that time, I plan to travel with my family and have them settle and complete all required submissions for PR cards. And then travel back before receiving my PR card. I figure once my family receives it, they can mail it to me.
However, I was told that if I exit Canada without the PR card in my hand, I will not be able to get back in because airport officers mark the card before boarding the airplane. Is this true?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - that's not true. You can certainly leave Canada before you receive your PR card. Many (many many) people do this and there are no issues.

singhabhishek251

Jun 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the best option is to contact some airport officer and enquire about the same as they may mark before leaving the airport and sometime they may not. If they can assure you that this is not the issue for your business immigration, then it would be good.

Optymystyc

Star Member
Aug 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2011
File Transfer...
DM - 27th Aug 2013
Med's Request
Dec 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
LANDED..........
28th Oct 2013
scylla said:
No - that's not true. You can certainly leave Canada before you receive your PR card. Many (many many) people do this and there are no issues.
I concur, i know someone who traveled before his PR card arrived and he had someone bring it to him wherever he was. He had no issues at the airport coming back.

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
Let me tell you 2 instances:
1. A friend of mine landed as a PR (that's the formal landing process), gave an address of his relative as his residential address in Canada and returned to the country he had come to Canada from. The friend of him, after receiving the PR card had it delivered to him - I'm not sure of the mode of delivery, though.
2. I've never had an occasion when an authority noted something on my PR card when I left Canada. So it's reasonable to assume that your leaving Canada cannot be tracked based on your PR card unless it's being asked for a validation. But someone gotta tell me if that had happened to them and if yes under what circumstances.
So, I derive that it's safe to leave Canada without your PR card. However, returning to Canada as a PR is another topic, just so you know.

Optymystyc

Star Member
Aug 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2011
File Transfer...
DM - 27th Aug 2013
Med's Request
Dec 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
LANDED..........
28th Oct 2013
IBMER said:
1. A friend of mine landed as a PR (that's the formal landing process), gave an address of his relative as his residential address in Canada and returned to the country he had come to Canada from. The friend of him, after receiving the PR card have it delivered to him - I'm not sure of the mode of delivery, though.

However, returning to Canada as a PR is another topic, just so you know.
I concur again.

skidmarkz

Mar 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
CIVIL ENGINEER
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
13-02-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
30-12-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2016
IBMER said:
1. A friend of mine landed as a PR (that's the formal landing process), gave an address of his relative as his residential address in Canada and returned to the country he had come to Canada from. The friend of him, after receiving the PR card had it delivered to him - I'm not sure of the mode of delivery, though.
2. I've never had an occasion when an authority noted something on my PR card when I left Canada. So it's reasonable to assume that your leaving Canada cannot be tracked based on your PR card unless it's being asked for a validation. But someone gotta tell me if that had happened to them and if yes under what circumstances.
So, I derive that it's safe to leave Canada without your PR card. However, returning to Canada as a PR is another topic, just so you know.
Hi Ibmer, do you know how long it takes to get the PR card after landing?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
skidmarkz said:
Hi Ibmer, do you know how long it takes to get the PR card after landing?

Thanks
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp