+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave Canada while waiting for PGWP with a valid study permit?

fkojiang

Jan 5, 2016
Hi everyone, it is my first post. I think this forum is a really helpful place so I hope I can find answers for my questions.

I will graduate in April this year and I have to go back to my country after that.
At first I want to leave after I get approved of PGWP so I can re-enter Canada with a valid work permit. However as the processing time can cost months and I don't think I can wait until then.

But my study permit and study visa both expire on Aug. 30th, can I submit my application for PGWP first, leave Canada but come back before Aug. 30th?
I also saw that study visa will expire in 90days after your graduation. And how will they determine that?
Will they refuse my entry with the reason that I already graduate so the study permit can no longer be the proof for entering Canada?

Thank you very much!

vladikim

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
30-08-2016, AOR2 - 16-09-2016
Med's Done....
06-07-2016
You can apply and leave the country. You will be able to enter Canada with your valid visa and study permit before it expires.
I applied for PGWP and left Canada for one year. I then asked my friend to mail me my PGWP and i entered Canada with my valid student visa along with my PGWP.

fkojiang

Jan 5, 2016
vladikim said:
You can apply and leave the country. You will be able to enter Canada with your valid visa and study permit before it expires.
I applied for PGWP and left Canada for one year. I then asked my friend to mail me my PGWP and i entered Canada with my valid student visa along with my PGWP.
Thank you very much!
Just one more question, if I come back on Aug. 20th, just 10 days before the expire date and I don't have the PGWP as well, can I still come back here? lol I think it will cost more then 4 months!

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
fkojiang said:
Hi everyone, it is my first post. I think this forum is a really helpful place so I hope I can find answers for my questions.

I will graduate in April this year and I have to go back to my country after that.
At first I want to leave after I get approved of PGWP so I can re-enter Canada with a valid work permit. However as the processing time can cost months and I don't think I can wait until then.

But my study permit and study visa both expire on Aug. 30th, can I submit my application for PGWP first, leave Canada but come back before Aug. 30th?
I also saw that study visa will expire in 90days after your graduation. And how will they determine that?
Will they refuse my entry with the reason that I already graduate so the study permit can no longer be the proof for entering Canada?

Thank you very much!
You can definitely leave country and will be able to enter back as long as you have a valid re-entry / multiple visa. My study visa and permit both were valid until March 2016. but i graduated early and applied for my work permit Jan 2015. Received the work permit in March 2015 and didnt apply to extend my Student Visa as it was valid for almost another year. Did called CIC and checked with them, they advised me taht as long as you have valid re-entry visa you shouldn't have any issue.

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Navprateek said:
You can definitely leave country and will be able to enter back as long as you have a valid re-entry / multiple visa. My study visa and permit both were valid until March 2016. but i graduated early and applied for my work permit Jan 2015. Received the work permit in March 2015 and didnt apply to extend my Student Visa as it was valid for almost another year. Did called CIC and checked with them, they advised me taht as long as you have valid re-entry visa you shouldn't have any issue.
@Navprateek
Which phone number did you call? I need to clarify some question as I'm on open work permit valid until end of 2016 same as my wife's study permit. But my wife completed her graduation earlier and just started working. As study permit expires after 90 of graduation, will I lose my work permit validity as well?

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
riasat.abir said:
@Navprateek
Which phone number did you call? I need to clarify some question as I'm on open work permit valid until end of 2016 same as my wife's study permit. But my wife completed her graduation earlier and just started working. As study permit expires after 90 of graduation, will I lose my work permit validity as well?
Its the toll free number for CIC I pretty much googled it, unfortunately I dont remember it as of now.
And in your case you have to apply for an extension to renew your work permit.

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016

BUT, STUDY PERMIT EXPIRES IN 90 DAYS AFTER GRADUATION.

Rsbin2022

Dec 1, 2022
Bangalore
Category........
STUDY
My son's PGWP validity till November 2025 whereas conditions mentioned as "must leave Canada by November 2023" ,. any one please advise about this Thank you