+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave Canada and re-enter while being self-employed?

hrs_j

Jun 22, 2021
Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me out here.

I have a multi-entry visa, and a work permit. Both are valid until Nov 2022. I'm renting an apartment in Canada, and all my cell phones, bank accounts are in Canada, etc.

Right now I'm self-employed, and I'm not working in health care, medical etc.

I wanted to find out if I could visit US for a conference, and re-enter Canada.

I did the assessment on travel.gc.ca and it says "Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry."

Can anyone help me confirm this, or share their experience?

Thank you very much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me out here.

I have a multi-entry visa, and a work permit. Both are valid until Nov 2022. I'm renting an apartment in Canada, and all my cell phones, bank accounts are in Canada, etc.

Right now I'm self-employed, and I'm not working in health care, medical etc.

I wanted to find out if I could visit US for a conference, and re-enter Canada.

I did the assessment on travel.gc.ca and it says "Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry."

Can anyone help me confirm this, or share their experience?

Thank you very much!
What type of WP and on what grounds did you get the WP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's an open work permit and it's a PGWP. I had a full-time job, but I quit my job a year ago to focus on my own stuff.
Yes won't be a problem. Bring proof of employment and records that you have an established life in Canada like a lease, utility bill, etc.

hrs_j

Jun 22, 2021
Yes won't be a problem. Bring proof of employment and records that you have an established life in Canada like a lease, utility bill, etc.
Thanks for your reply. Currently, I don't have an employer (I'm self-employed). Do you think that'd be an issue?