+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?

AC1974

Mar 8, 2010
Yes, you can leave Canada but, it would be save to leave probably after you receive the AOR so, you make sure that your application is complete and received to be "In Process" later on. Also keep in mind that further information may be needed( like finger prints) and you will have to be ready to provide what it may be needed.

Hope it helps.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi Friends,

Can I leave Canada after mailing my application or I have to wait for AOR. CIC says "Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application. " Does this means just receive the application at their office or issuing AOR.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5
Canada does NOT regulate (with certain special exceptions) travel abroad by Canadians, neither Canadian PRs nor Canadian citizens. Canadian PRs have a Residency Obligation, which in effect limits the amount of time they can remain abroad and still keep PR status (which of course is a requirement to be granted citizenship, applicable right up to the moment the oath is taken).

Beyond that, many fail to distinguish between traveling outside Canada versus leaving Canada to live in another country, and underestimate how being outside Canada can have an impact on the processing of an application for citizenship. Most salient risks are logistical, especially related to getting notices timely, timely responding to requests, and appearing for scheduled events on short notice. Other risks have been discussed in depth in many of the topics which are about leaving Canada while a citizenship application is pending.

Reactions: AC1974

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
Hi Friends,

Can I leave Canada after mailing my application or I have to wait for AOR. CIC says "Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application. " Does this means just receive the application at their office or issuing AOR.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5
Yes ofcourse you can leave Canada without a problem, if your trip is short like 2-3 months thats fine but if you'r going for a longer period then I would sugget you to wait till AOR, (in-case the application is returend or additional documents required) but if you have someone who can handle these stuff in Canada then you are good to go

Reactions: AC1974

akaribrahmama

Feb 21, 2020
Dear All,
I am writing this letter as I am quite concerned

I had applied (as an individual) for Canadian Citizenship back in 2010 and my application in spite of providing huge documentation as asked by RQ was considered to be abandoned. I was really in a shock to know of abandonment of my individual application in spite of huge amount of time energy and money spent on providing the details asked by CIC.

Long story short, I now have re-applied along with my family of 3

On August 25 2019

Delivered End of August 2019,

In process- Nov 10 2019.

Days – Spouses – 1200 & 1445 and daughter - 1180

My big concern is - now that I have re-applied along with family after a gap of 10 years, whether the previous application which was considered abandoned by CIC will have any effect on my new family Citizenship application.

We shall much appreciate any inputs from all folks from this forum that may make a difference to our lives. Th…..