+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I land in Canada with an immigration / landing visa on an expired passport?

ZYSHAQ

Jan 17, 2019
Hello,
Both me and my wife are Palestinian refugees holding egyptian travel documents for Palestinians refugees.

i got my express entry application admitted, and, my immigration visa; then I got married so I reopened my application and its in processing.
However, her passport has expired since last year and we are unable to renew her travel documents, unable to start the process at least and unable to obtain any official / unofficial response from our current palestinian / egyptian embassies to prove her current status.

my inquiries:
• once my wife gets her immigration visa on her expired travel documents, is she allowed to travel to canada with an expired travel documents?
• is there a possibility for her to obtain a Canadian certificate of identity / alien passport before she lands to canada (for the purpose of landing to canada?)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
Both me and my wife are Palestinian refugees holding egyptian travel documents for Palestinians refugees.

i got my express entry application admitted, and, my immigration visa; then I got married so I reopened my application and its in processing.
However, her passport has expired since last year and we are unable to renew her travel documents, unable to start the process at least and unable to obtain any official / unofficial response from our current palestinian / egyptian embassies to prove her current status.

my inquiries:
• once my wife gets her immigration visa on her expired travel documents, is she allowed to travel to canada with an expired travel documents?
• is there a possibility for her to obtain a Canadian certificate of identity / alien passport before she lands to canada (for the purpose of landing to canada?)
She definitely cannot travel on an expired passport alone. Airlines won't let her board the plane without a valid travel document of some sort.

I don't believe a Canadian certificate of identity is an option since she is not a PR yet. I don't think obtaining one will be possible until after she lands and becomes a PR.

I'm not sure what you mean by an alien passport.

While your application is under Express Entry, you may want to try posting to the refugee / asylum section of the forum to ask how someone can travel if they cannot obtain a valid travel document. I don't know if the answers there will apply to your case since you haven't applied under the asylum / refugee stream, but worth a shot.

ZYSHAQ

Jan 17, 2019
She definitely cannot travel on an expired passport alone. Airlines won't let her board the plane without a valid travel document of some sort.

I don't believe a Canadian certificate of identity is an option since she is not a PR yet. I don't think obtaining one will be possible until after she lands and becomes a PR.

I'm not sure what you mean by an alien passport.

While your application is under Express Entry, you may want to try posting to the refugee / asylum section of the forum to ask how someone can travel if they cannot obtain a valid travel document. I don't know if the answers there will apply to your case since you haven't applied under the asylum / refugee stream, but worth a shot.
thank you, I appreciate your feedback.
• Certificate of identity is an alias for an alien passport.
• From my understanding, Palestinians are ineligible for the asylum/refugee path.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you, I appreciate your feedback.
• Certificate of identity is an alias for an alien passport.
• From my understanding, Palestinians are ineligible for the asylum/refugee path.
I'm not suggesting that you apply through the asylum / refugee path. I'm suggesting that you post your question to the asylum / refugee section of this forum to ask if anyone there may know what to do in your situation (i.e. how to land without a valid travel document). Hope this makes sense.

Reactions: ZYSHAQ

ZYSHAQ

Jan 17, 2019
I'm not suggesting that you apply through the asylum / refugee path. I'm suggesting that you post your question to the asylum / refugee section of this forum to ask if anyone there may know what to do in your situation (i.e. how to land without a valid travel document). Hope this makes sense.
Ah I see, will do!
Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

my inquiries:
I was just thinking about this further, I'm not sure that IRCC will issue the COPR to your wife without a valid travel document. Have you asked IRCC about that already? Your first issue may not be traveling but getting the actual COPR for your wife issued.