+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Immigrate to Canada as Self-Employed?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok

Ok, and if someone goes without a job offer on express entry, is it necessary to find/have a job there? I mean is a job conditional to stay in Canada or express entry means you'll get PR for sure even if you don't find a job, and even if you start/continue a business?
Yes, you can continue to work your business after PR. No, there is no need for you to have a job offer to go through Express Entry or to find a job once you are a PR.

They key thing with Express Entry is having enough points to be selected out of the pool. You can do whatever you want job wise.

Reactions: hussain515

hussain515

Jan 10, 2021
Yes, you can continue to work your business after PR. No, there is no need for you to have a job offer to go through Express Entry or to find a job once you are a PR.

They key thing with Express Entry is having enough points to be selected out of the pool. You can do whatever you want job wise.
Thanks. Another option I'm considering to explore is getting study permit for my son (who is a minor, 3 years old at the moment)

What are the chances of going with the child as parents and getting a PR later on? After all the goal is to move to Canada for a better future of the kids.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. Another option I'm considering to explore is getting study permit for my son (who is a minor, 3 years old at the moment)

What are the chances of going with the child as parents and getting a PR later on? After all the goal is to move to Canada for a better future of the kids.
This isn't a path for PR.

If your son comes to Canada to study, the expectation is that you find a guardian who will act as his parent in Canada. There is no accompanying visa that allows you to come with him. The best you can hope for is to come temporarily for a short term visit on a TRV (tourist visa). The TRV does not allow you to live or work in Canada and you won't qualify for any benefits like health care coverage - all the TRV will allow you to do is visit for a few weeks or months as a tourist. The TRV also gives you no benefits or advantages as it relates to qualifying for PR.

hussain515

Jan 10, 2021
This isn't a path for PR.

If your son comes to Canada to study, the expectation is that you find a guardian who will act as his parent in Canada. There is no accompanying visa that allows you to come with him. The best you can hope for is to come temporarily for a short term visit on a TRV (tourist visa). The TRV does not allow you to live or work in Canada and you won't qualify for any benefits like health care coverage - all the TRV will allow you to do is visit for a few weeks or months as a tourist. The TRV also gives you no benefits or advantages as it relates to qualifying for PR.
Got it, thanks.

What about immigrating as an entrepreneur, how does my current business qualify to get into Canada and how much investment I need in cash? And does property/land count as net worth? Is there any protocol if you want to move/continue an existing business to Canada?

I believe there is 'Start up' stuff where you've to show a business plan & get investment but let me know how my current business works out?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Got it, thanks.

What about immigrating as an entrepreneur, how does my current business qualify to get into Canada and how much investment I need in cash? And does property/land count as net worth? Is there any protocol if you want to move/continue an existing business to Canada?

I believe there is 'Start up' stuff where you've to show a business plan & get investment but let me know how my current business works out?
This is where you'll need to dedicate time to significant additional research. You really need to spend time reading through the various programs available to understand the requirements and process to apply - or alternatively hire a lawyer to do this work for you. There are no short cuts here if you are really truly serious about immigrating to Canada (apart from paying a lawyer to do the research for you). You should also spend time reading through the historical posts on this forum.

Details about the start up visa can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa.html

Many entrepreneur programs are not accepting new applications at this time. You'll need to research the provincial programs (PNP) to see which programs are open and what the requirements are. Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees.html

Good luck.

hussain515

Jan 10, 2021
This is where you'll need to dedicate time to significant additional research. You really need to spend time reading through the various programs available to understand the requirements and process to apply - or alternatively hire a lawyer to do this work for you. There are no short cuts here if you are really truly serious about immigrating to Canada (apart from paying a lawyer to do the research for you). You should also spend time reading through the historical posts on this forum.

Details about the start up visa can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa.html

Many entrepreneur programs are not accepting new applications at this time. You'll need to research the provincial programs (PNP) to see which programs are open and what the requirements are. Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees.html

Good luck.
Ok, how much a lawyer normally charges, and is there a place where I can find authentic/experienced legit immigration lawyers? Asking bcoz there is so much fraud everywhere

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, how much a lawyer normally charges, and is there a place where I can find authentic/experienced legit immigration lawyers? Asking bcoz there is so much fraud everywhere
Lawyers will charge several thousand dollars. You'll want to hire an immigration lawyer in Canada.

This forum is paid for by an immigration lawyer with a good reputation. His office's contact info is in the top left hand corner of each screen. Or you can look for other recommendations.

Reactions: hussain515

GeorgeOu

Apr 25, 2020
Hi there,

I've been an online freelancer for 10 years and I've a small design & development agency that I run from home. All my team is hired online from platforms like Upwork etc.

I'd like to know if I qualify for Canadian Immigration and which category suits me? Most of my clients are online from the USA and my annual volume is good so I can definitely contribute to the Canadian economy very positively.

When I search under self-employed, I see stuff like cultural activities etc. I've no idea what that means. And I couldn't find the IT freelancing category anywhere.

Please let me know.

Thanks
I am not sure what your occupation is exactly. Design & development, is that kinda of consultation business? To evaluate your eligibility, you'd better check their definition of "Self-Employed Occupation" in immigration website.

The range of "cultural" is actually pretty large. Maybe you could be qualified, but a double check could do no harm, right?

MinhAnh

Dec 16, 2020
Your occupation does not qualify under the self-employment immigration stream. This stream is for cultural and athletic occupations.

You need to look at Express Entry.
Hi

do you know if someone is an artisan but didnot in the list of NOC could be eligible foe this stream? Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

do you know if someone is an artisan but didnot in the list of NOC could be eligible foe this stream? Thank you
What is your NOC?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It’s 5244 - artisan
If you are self employed then you may be eligible for the self employment visa stream. As for Express Entry, you need your education assessed and language tests to submit your profile. You need a minium of 76 points to be eligible and CRS score of 468+ for an invitation.

Reactions: MinhAnh

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
Sounds like you need some guidance. We hired an immigration consultant for one hour to get as much info as possible about applying for PR under the self-employed stream. We wrote down all of our questions and marked the most important and basically went down the list. Definitely worth the money!

Reactions: Mandarin0212

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sounds like you need some guidance. We hired an immigration consultant for one hour to get as much info as possible about applying for PR under the self-employed stream. We wrote down all of our questions and marked the most important and basically went down the list. Definitely worth the money!
If you read the posts, the person applied in January 2020 and received AOR in February 2020. So waiting a year and have heard nothing. I think the person is looking for other options like Express Entry and finding out if eligible as it will have faster processing.