+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I hold 2 permit - Student Permint & Dependent Work Permit?

Uhd22

Sep 25, 2017
Hi,

I had applied for my study permit extension in the end of Oct, 2018 which got approved on Nov month so I had a new study permit until end of 2020. I applied for my PR and I was on a dependent on my PR application. At that time after checking with different forums & checking with CIC agent I came to know that I can apply for OWP and I may be eligible so I applied for Dependent Open Work Permit in Nov month which got approved recently (in my LOE, I did mention that I applied for SP extension but my priority should be work permit if I eligible - FYI).

Now I have my new study permit for Dec 2020 and new Work Permit for a year. I want to work as a full time so I would like to continue with my work permit. So my question/concern is do I need to inform CIC to cancel my study permit or is there anything I need to do from my side to let CIC know? Also, please confirm - which permit will consider as a legal one. I checked with 1 lawyer and heard that as soon as my work permit approved, my study permit auto cancelled - is it true?

Any help/suggestion would be great to decide further step from me.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I had applied for my study permit extension in the end of Oct, 2018 which got approved on Nov month so I had a new study permit until end of 2020. I applied for my PR and I was on a dependent on my PR application. I applied for Dependent Open Work Permit which got approved recently (in my LOE, I did mention that I applied for SP extension but my priority should be work permit if I eligible - FYI).

Now I have my new study permit for Dec 2020 and new Work Permit for a year. I want to work as a full time so I would like to continue with my work permit. So my question/concern is do I need to inform CIC to cancel my study permit or is there anything I need to do from my side to let CIC know? Also, please confirm - which permit will consider as a legal one. I checked with 1 lawyer and heard that as soon as my work permit approved, my study permit auto cancelled - is it true?

Any help/suggestion would be great to decide further step from me.
Hi

When you applied for the OWP, you applied to change your status from student to worker.

Uhd22

Sep 25, 2017
Hi

When you applied for the OWP, you applied to change your status from student to worker.
No, I didn't apply to change my student status. I applied for study permit extension in Oct end and I got AOR in Nov 1st week and same time I came to know that I'm eligible to apply work permit so I applied on Nov 1st week (in LOE, I simply mentioned that I applied already for SP and if I eligible for OWP please consider my this request ; didn't specify anything in my LOW for OWP). My study permit got approved in Nov end. OWP approved last week. So my concern is: how & if I need to inform CIC that I will take OWP and will not want SP permit something like this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No, I didn't apply to change my student status. I applied for study permit extension in Oct end and I got AOR in Nov 1st week and same time I came to know that I'm eligible to apply work permit so I applied on Nov 1st week (in LOE, I simply mentioned that I applied already for SP and if I eligible for OWP please consider my this request ; didn't specify anything in my LOW for OWP). My study permit got approved in Nov end. OWP approved last week. So my concern is: how & if I need to inform CIC that I will take OWP and will not want SP permit something like this?
What form did you submit for the OWP?

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Simply call them and ask!

Uhd22

Sep 25, 2017
Simply call them and ask!
Yes that's my plan. I tried to call couple of times and line got busy and phone disconnected.
I'll try to call them next week again. Thought to post a message here, in case someone had an idea or had gone passed similar situation.

Thanks for replying btw.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Does form matters?

IMM5257B & IMM5710E..
IMM5710 is called Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker. You applied to change the condition of your stay from student to worker. When the OWP was approved, your status changed.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes you can hold two permits at the same time. They are both valid.
This is 100% correct. Both the permits are valid.
The circumstances in which a person can hold both a valid study permit and a valid work permit are very limited. For OP's study permit to still be valid, the OWP would have needed to be an "outside Canada" app, which is IMM1295. OP applied with IMM5710, a "within Canada" app to change their status to worker. The OWP was approved and status was changed.

Reactions: Bryanna

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am almost 99% sure if OP calls CIC to confirm, he will get a response that both the permits are valid.
When a person applies within Canada to change their status and the app is approved, the previous status is no longer valid. A worker that submits IMM5708 is applying to change their status to visitor. Once it is approved, they cease to be a worker and are only a visitor. They don't keep the worker status.