+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I have access to the RAMQ? (Quebec)

Happynut

Sep 7, 2021
Hi everyone!

So basically right now I have the extension of the Post Graduate Work Permit offered because of Covid but apparently I cannot have access to the RAMQ because even though it's an extension of the PGWP, it counts as an Open Work permit which means that I am not eligible for the RAMQ.
I find it extremely weird since I was covered by the RAMQ with my previous Student Permit AND Post graduation work permit but not it's extension.

Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone!

So basically right now I have the extension of the Post Graduate Work Permit offered because of Covid but apparently I cannot have access to the RAMQ because even though it's an extension of the PGWP, it counts as an Open Work permit which means that I am not eligible for the RAMQ.
I find it extremely weird since I was covered by the RAMQ with my previous Student Permit AND Post graduation work permit but not it's extension.

Can someone confirm?

Thanks!
Are you working full-time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I've been working full time for like 7 months. Prior than than I was working 40 hours a week on contact for 1 year. I started with my PGWP.
If you are working full-time now and have the approve PGWP extension I find it strange that you don’t qualify for RAMQ

Happynut

Sep 7, 2021
If you are working full-time now and have the approve PGWP extension I find it strange that you don’t qualify for RAMQ
This is why I'm very confused and I can't find any information concerning this permit. On paper it sounded like a real extension on the PGWP but in reality it's basically an Open Work Permit and I've heard that only people with a Closed Work Permit are eligible for the RAMQ.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is why I'm very confused and I can't find any information concerning this permit. On paper it sounded like a real extension on the PGWP but in reality it's basically an Open Work Permit and I've heard that only people with a Closed Work Permit are eligible for the RAMQ.
Have you been approved for the PGWP extension yet?