+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I go USA with closed work permit ?

serena0210

Mar 17, 2017
Hello :)

I have a closed work permit and I quit a job. I know I can stay till expire date but Can I go out of canada ?

also You guys know If I go USA by car , can I get stamp on passport in immigration like airport ?

thank you !

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Hello :)

I have a closed work permit and I quit a job. I know I can stay till expire date but Can I go out of canada ?

also You guys know If I go USA by car , can I get stamp on passport in immigration like airport ?

thank you !
Is your Closed work permit employer specific or NOC specific?

If you have USA visa then no issue you can cross the border for visit. But If you have employer specific WP then it will trigger CBSA officer when you will try to re enter Canada because employer specific work permit will not allow you to work for any other company.

If you do not have USA visa then you need to take visa prior to your visit. USA will never stamp or grant you visa at the port of entry until unless you are from visa exempt country.
In order to get USA visa you have to go for an interview. If during the interview they will find out that you have quit your job and you have no ties to your country of residence then its highly likely your visa will be denied.

serena0210

Mar 17, 2017
Thank you so much !
Is your Closed work permit employer specific or NOC specific?

If you have USA visa then no issue you can cross the border for visit. But If you have employer specific WP then it will trigger CBSA officer when you will try to re enter Canada because employer specific work permit will not allow you to work for any other company.

If you do not have USA visa then you need to take visa prior to your visit. USA will never stamp or grant you visa at the port of entry until unless you are from visa exempt country.
In order to get USA visa you have to go for an interview. If during the interview they will find out that you have quit your job and you have no ties to your country of residence then its highly likely your visa will be denied.