+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get the PGWP after graduation from continuing studies?

FMTO

Jun 8, 2019
I am not sure, but i have done my research and contacted a few graduates. Continuing studies programs are eligible for PGWP if its a full time program and has a minimum duration of one year.
Make sure you have "full time" written on your offer letter and diploma or certificate or degree..

Hope this clarifies.
Hello.
Yes, it does. I tried contacting some students of this program to see if they got their PGWP, but no replies so far. However , I have just received my LOA and it says: 2 years (24 months) full time studies. Therefore, as you have mentioned it should not be a problem then. Thank you.

FMTO

Jun 8, 2019
Just because its a DLI does not mean its eligible for PGWP you need to check the government website which shows if school qualifies for pgwp.

Continuing studies doesnt really mean anything, they are just marketing them to people in careers already so there is nothing about these courses that would make them not eligible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/designated-learning-institutions-list.html
Hello.
Yes , as I have mentioned on my post above, I received my LOA and the DLI Number is on this list of designated learning institutions as "YES" for PGWP. My concern was more about the classification as Continuing Studies , because I have never heard of it before. But in my LOA it also says that is a vocational type of course, 2 years diploma full time. I read that diplomas from Academic, professional and vocational programs are elegible. Therefore it seems it seems everything is ok.Thank you

omidsadiq

Dec 9, 2018
Hi Guys,
I am doing a certificate from University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies. My studies are not considered a full time program by my school but I have been taking 4 classes a week since January 2019. I am an international student with a valid study permit and not working any where, so, I only study.

Student have three years from the date of enrolment to complete the requirements of the certificate, but I am about to complete it in one single year.

will I be eligible for PGWP upon successful completion of my certificate in December 2019.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi Guys,
I am doing a certificate from University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies. My studies are not considered a full time program by my school but I have been taking 4 classes a week since January 2019. I am an international student with a valid study permit and not working any where, so, I only study.

Student have three years from the date of enrolment to complete the requirements of the certificate, but I am about to complete it in one single year.

will I be eligible for PGWP upon successful completion of my certificate in December 2019.
You should ask the school if others have been able to get it. But the rule is you need to be full time to qualify for pgwp.

omidsadiq

Dec 9, 2018
You should ask the school if others have been able to get it. But the rule is you need to be full time to qualify for pgwp.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I have asked the school and their answer was no. However, I have talked with several immigration consultants and even with the CIC customer service over the phone, they didn’t give me straight answer but they did tell me that it all depends on the CIC immigration officer. They said I need to explain the situation while applying for PGWP and explain to them that, although, I am not considered a full time student by my school, but technically, I have been full time as I am attending classes same as full time students.

any advice please.

lindafa

Nov 11, 2019
Hi I have applied in 2year full-time diploma in continuing studies which has DLI in LOA need to know are these courses eligible for PGWP as I have heard that they are eligible
Please let me know as soon as possible thanks

Last edited:

Murich

Star Member
Sep 7, 2019

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I just want to know whether continuing studies qualifies for PGWP or not rest everything is fine university is a dli and its a full time diploma as well
1. Here are non eligible criteria for a PGWP

You aren’t eligible for a PGWP if you

• already received a PGWP
  • studied English or French as a second language
  • took general interest or self-improvement courses
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
  • had funding from GAC
  • got the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • participated in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program
  • participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • completed the majority of a study program by distance learning (online courses, e-learning or correspondence)
  • completed a study program at a non-Canadian institution located in Canada

lindafa

Nov 11, 2019
Hi

1. Here are non eligible criteria for a PGWP

You aren’t eligible for a PGWP if you

• already received a PGWP
  • studied English or French as a second language
  • took general interest or self-improvement courses
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
  • had funding from GAC
  • got the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • participated in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program
  • participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • completed the majority of a study program by distance learning (online courses, e-learning or correspondence)
  • completed a study program at a non-Canadian institution located in Canada
Thanks This doesn't Say anything so its fine. Do you have any idea what exactly are took general interest or self-improvement courses

Uda

Jan 18, 2020
I currently Persuing Professional Development Diploma in Big Data and Entrepreneurship in Concordia University -Montreal, QC which is nearly 9 month, 330 hours, non-credit full time program that started on September 16th until June14th, 2020. Can someone help me whether I'm eligible for PGWP.

priyanshus

Apr 7, 2021
Hello,

I've been thinking to apply for the supply chain & logistics program of Langara College.
However, I found that this program is one of the Continuing Studies.
I heard that CIC does not issue the Post Graduate Work Permit for Continuing Studies, and I'd like to make it clear before applying.
The program is 2year full-time Post-Degree Diploma (in-class).

Is it eligible to get the PGWP after graduation from this course?
Any guesses whether they would give visa for my wife applying for the same course or some similar course. She is 46 years of age and has been working continuously for last 17 years. Or any other suggestions or recommendations?

xiaojunz

Apr 3, 2019
Thank you very much for your reply.

I have asked the school and their answer was no. However, I have talked with several immigration consultants and even with the CIC customer service over the phone, they didn’t give me straight answer but they did tell me that it all depends on the CIC immigration officer. They said I need to explain the situation while applying for PGWP and explain to them that, although, I am not considered a full time student by my school, but technically, I have been full time as I am attending classes same as full time students.

any advice please.
hi just curious were you able to get PGWP ?
i am considering some certificate course from University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies too
thanks