+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit?

joeymc

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Hello all!
I'm a Brit with a work permit in Vancouver

I haven't met the stated $5000 earnings requirement for CERB, as I haven't worked here long enough. I desperately need at least some kind of financial assistance and don't know my options.

If anyone knows anything I could do, or if the CERB application is lenient at all, please share

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all!
I'm a Brit with a work permit in Vancouver

I haven't met the stated $5000 earnings requirement for CERB, as I haven't worked here long enough. I desperately need at least some kind of financial assistance and don't know my options.

If anyone knows anything I could do, or if the CERB application is lenient at all, please share
So far there are no exceptions to the CERB $5,000 minimum.

If you were Canadian, social assistance / welfare would be the other option. However this isn't available to those on a work permit. I'm not aware of other options at this time although others might.

You may want to consider returing to the UK if you cannot financially survive here without support. That may be your best option.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I was reading thru the bill and doing other research and the $5000 amount is legislated, which means there's no discretion. If there was discretion,it would be indicated in the bill. The $5000 is the minimum needed earned in the preceding 12 months from the day of application
That amount could be wages or other government benefits such as maternity leave
BC has the BC emergency benefit put in place because of the pandemic , however you either had to be eligible for EI or the CERB which you're not unfortunately

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

joeymc

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I was reading thru the bill and doing other research and the $5000 amount is legislated, which means there's no discretion. If there was discretion,it would be indicated in the bill. The $5000 is the minimum needed earned in the preceding 12 months from the day of application
That amount could be wages or other government benefits such as maternity leave
BC has the BC emergency benefit put in place because of the pandemic , however you either had to be eligible for EI or the CERB which you're not unfortunately
I was at university last year on a student loan, so I did receive income of a kind, but I'm not sure if the Government would recognise that. If they would, that'd qualify me, but as of right now there's no contact to ask, which sucks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was at university last year on a student loan, so I did receive income of a kind, but I'm not sure if the Government would recognise that. If they would, that'd qualify me, but as of right now there's no contact to ask, which sucks.
You need to have earned employment income of at least $5,000 over the last 12 months to qualify for CERB. A loan isn't classified as employment income.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It won’t be set up until the first week of April,at that time there’ll be a online portal , my account ,my service Canada account to apply
From the information I’ve gathered there’ll be a telephone number you can call for questions. It’ll be handled by the CRA versus the ESDC due to the workload issues at the ESDC currently
As for student loans they do not fall under the legislation to be eligible for this benefit, since student loans are not connected in anyway to past work. This benefit is for individuals who would not have been eligible for EI, such as self employed individuals, business owners, those who had claimed EI benefits , but now are ineligible, but due to legislation were not eligible for regular EI. This benefit is to assist those individuals

(a) employment;
(b) self-employment;
(c) benefits paid to the person under any of subsections 22(1), 23(1), 152.‍04(1) and 152.‍05(1) of the Employment Insurance Act; and
(d) allowances, money or other benefits paid to the person under a provincial plan because of pregnancy or in respect of the care by the person of one or more of their new-born children or one or more children placed with them for the purpose of adoption.‍ (travailleur)

You might want to explore if the UK Government has implemented any assistance programs during this time

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You could also try to get one of the jobs still available. There seems to be jobs available in supermarkets, pharmacies, distribution, shipping, etc.

IELTSvictim

Nov 1, 2018
I was wondering if I would qualify for the CERB. I have recently moved to Canada (Dec 2019) through the Express Entry program and I'm now a Permanent Resident. However, I don't have any employment income in Canada since moving here. I do have income in 2019 back in India but that is before I became a PR. As a new immigrant/ Permanent Resident, who is yet to start working in Canada, would I qualify for this program?

Mar 30, 2020
I was wondering if I would qualify for the CERB. I have recently moved to Canada (Dec 2019) and I'm now a Permanent Resident. However, I have less than 5000 income since moving here. at the same time I am receiving monthly child tax benefit because of my two children and since 10 of March my work place laid off, would I qualify for this program?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was wondering if I would qualify for the CERB. I have recently moved to Canada (Dec 2019) and I'm now a Permanent Resident. However, I have less than 5000 income since moving here. at the same time I am receiving monthly child tax benefit because of my two children and since 10 of March my work place laid off, would I qualify for this program?
You must have at least 5000 in income to qualify for the program. So unfortunately you will not qualify based on the rules that have been outlined.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was wondering if I would qualify for the CERB. I have recently moved to Canada (Dec 2019) through the Express Entry program and I'm now a Permanent Resident. However, I don't have any employment income in Canada since moving here. I do have income in 2019 back in India but that is before I became a PR. As a new immigrant/ Permanent Resident, who is yet to start working in Canada, would I qualify for this program?
We don't know at this time and you'll need to wait for the enrollment information to become available in April. My guess is that only income earned in Canada / income declared in a Canadian tax return will count.