+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get student visa at 37 years age?

Tradeincomm

Aug 11, 2017
Congrats!

Did you apply for your wife's visa too? TRV or OWP?

Do you have any advice for me? I also have the profile similar to yours. 35yrs - BTech CS, 3yr experience in IT companies, then 8 years self-employed (website publishing, ITR filed). IELTS 8 but I have not appeared for GRE as I thought it is optional for Canadian universities and I hate to mug up so many vocab words (Now I'm thinking I made a mistake by trusting Canadian university's "GRE not required" criteria). I have applied to all universities offering Data Science related programs, 3-4 are safe in it. No travel history :|. Funds will not be an issue and also have my own house in Delhi (joint property me & wife). Have a 2-year-old kid.

Didn't apply for wife's and kids' visa. They'll stay back. I guess if I had applied for them as well, my visa would probably have been rejected as they are my link to home country. It's just my understanding from what I've read on forums like these.

GRE is useful. A good score probably tilts visa decision in your favour. I had also applied to US universities .....just fyi.

rohan2CA

Sep 12, 2016
Didn't apply for wife's and kids' visa. They'll stay back. I guess if I had applied for them as well, my visa would probably have been rejected as they are my link to home country. It's just my understanding from what I've read on forums like these.

GRE is useful. A good score probably tilts visa decision in your favour. I had also applied to US universities .....just fyi.
Thanks for the reply. I have only applied to Canadian universities, not sure about the GRE affect in Visa. You are right about the link to home country but I know a couple of guys who have got Study Visa together with their family. Anyway, each case is different.

Sep 30, 2018
Dear Roahan and Tradeincomm, guys I am also in the same shoes as yours. 37 year Business Analyst and thinking for further studies in Canda to upgrade myself. Can you suggest some good consultancies? Please connect to me wats app ( 00971-582536754) and email - sansowa_ks@yahoo.co.in

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Dear Roahan and Tradeincomm, guys I am also in the same shoes as yours. 37 year Business Analyst and thinking for further studies in Canda to upgrade myself. Can you suggest some good consultancies? Please connect to me wats app ( 00971-582536754) and email - sansowa_ks@yahoo.co.in
if you need a good consultant, try campbell and cohen, the owner of this site. however, you can also do it on your own.

first, read: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html

then ask questions in this forum for concerns not clear to you. there are a lot of senior members here always willing to answer queries. suggest to save what you will pay for a consultant and add it to your study funds.

hth

Last edited:

_PoojaMahajan

Oct 9, 2018
Hi There. What is up with your status as of now since my profile is quite same as yours and was thinking if you could get through the process and share your experience. Thanks

kulsum

Jun 21, 2016
Which
Hello All,

I have benefited immensely from this website/ forum and I now I want to share my experience so others can learn/ benefit from it.
I applied for Student visa on 1 Jan 2018 and got approval on 7 March 2018 - more than 2 months delay !!
  • My profile : Age 34, B.E (2005), Masters in Finance management (2017), 10 yrs professional experience with total 2 year gaps from work.
  • I got admitted for my second masters program from a reputed university in Canada which I think complements my earlier education and experience.
  • Scores :- IELTS (GT) - 8.0 band, TOEFL ibt - 108/120, GRE score 324/340 (Q - 164, V - 160, AWA - 4.0)
  • I am a married guy. Have kids too.
  • I applied via online and it got processed at Bangalore office since I applied from Mumbai. I didnt know offline/VFS applications are faster as its counter-intuitive.
  • Offline/VFS applications seem to be faster.
  • Bangalore office processing seems to be much longer than north Indian ones. So people from western and southern India should keep that in mind.
  • During the online application , I went strictly by the application guidelines and checklist. I didnt send a cover letter explaining why I should be granted visa, nor any educational documents.
  • I had a US b1 visa but I havent been to US or Canada. I think having a US visa was favorable.
  • My financial condition was quite strong so that was never an issue.
  • My guess is travel history to north america can be favorable. I think its a good idea to make a short trip to North America.
  • 5 weeks after the application I started to write emails and raise queries using the official channels to enquire about my visa application. I also applied for GCMS notes. I guess that helped in processing my 'stalled' application. Cant say for sure.
Moral of the story
  • Age probably is not a big factor in granting student visa. As long you are a bonafide student, age should not matter.
  • English skills and previous education/ work history are likely important apart from financial condition.
  • Your Canadian school's reputation is also likely important.
This was just my experience and my understanding from it. Each case is different.

If you guys have any queries, I'll be happy to answer.

Best of Luck!!
Hi
Which Course you had opted for?

Crf

Apr 1, 2019
Hi I will be 33 this April. I am working for a bank fo 10 years. I have a 3 year old son and I have got admission to a college in Ontario.. I am going to apply for study permit Trough VFS dubai. I have not done a degree prior to this. I will be going for 3 years advanced diploma and my husband will be in Dubai.. Any one similar to my situation got the visa. Or any advices. Thank you

HKSimon

Sep 9, 2019
Hi I will be 44 years old and I have been a professional accountant for more than 20 years in Hong Kong. I don't have any bachelor degree but I have a professional certificates which are granted by recognised accounting bodies (HK and UK). Therefore, I am planning to apply a 2-year full time diploma course and master degree then in Winnipeg. Should I apply master directly? Is easy to get study permit for my case?

Murich

Star Member
Sep 7, 2019
Hi I will be 44 years old and I have been a professional accountant for more than 20 years in Hong Kong. I don't have any bachelor degree but I have a professional certificates which are granted by recognised accounting bodies (HK and UK). Therefore, I am planning to apply a 2-year full time diploma course and master degree then in Winnipeg. Should I apply master directly? Is easy to get study permit for my case?
In order to apply for masters you should have a bachelor degree first. With diploma, you are also not eligible for applying for a master program!

amirtha1922

Feb 4, 2019
Hi I'm 40 years old did my bachelor's and masters through distance education due to family reasons, now planning to study in canada can anyone assist and advice me. I have 15 years experience in design and media I want to study similar masters program to go for a higher position.

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
I'm older than that and am here on a study permit.
Hello I hope all is well with you . I would like to ask some few questions. I am a swedish citizen and I intend coming to canada to take a diploma course in hospitality. I just have a high school degree. I am 39 years old . Finished high school 1998 . Now I am applying for a management position and I was told I need a degree or diploma to have that position do you think I stand a chance to get a study permit. I have no plans staying in canada after my studies and my son lives in Canada

Nickson1985

Star Member
Oct 11, 2019
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
vfs manila
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if someone here knows if there is a maximum age for student visa to be issued?
regarding to what I read from info in the web wla pong age limit yun nga lng mas angat lng sa points yung 18 to 35 ng 2 points compare to older ages

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello I hope all is well with you . I would like to ask some few questions. I am a swedish citizen and I intend coming to canada to take a diploma course in hospitality. I just have a high school degree. I am 39 years old . Finished high school 1998 . Now I am applying for a management position and I was told I need a degree or diploma to have that position do you think I stand a chance to get a study permit. I have no plans staying in canada after my studies and my son lives in Canada
You probably have a chance since you are from Sweden, however education being free in Sweden and you going to Canada and paying high international fees along with your family ties in Canada might raise some concern, only option is to try and find out.

Tharealdotconnector

Oct 5, 2019
You probably have a chance since you are from Sweden, however education being free in Sweden and you going to Canada and paying high international fees along with your family ties in Canada might raise some concern, only option is to try and find out.
Yes education is free here but having a foreign degree especially from canada is really respected and makes one look attractive to an employer. Well my govt will be paying for the fees . I will go alone while my family stay back here in sweden. What is the right way to go about my visa application. But regarding the part where you said education is free also we still loads of swedish people studying outside of sweden just to get a foreign degree / diploma or certification. Please advise how do I go about my visa app. Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yes education is free here but having a foreign degree especially from canada is really respected and makes one look attractive to an employer. Well my govt will be paying for the fees . I will go alone while my family stay back here in sweden. What is the right way to go about my visa application. But regarding the part where you said education is free also we still loads of swedish people studying outside of sweden just to get a foreign degree / diploma or certification. Please advise how do I go about my visa app. Thank you
See here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=479&top=15

Be aware that you usually need to be convincing that any course you chose is relevant to your current qualifications or work experience and relevant to your prospects on return to your home country. Age is generally irrelevant although of course you might be the oldest person on any course

International fees are in region of 15000-18000 CDN per year plus 10000 CDN living expenses