+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get points for my Wife

masimshehzad

Oct 20, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have 64 points. My Wife is undergraduate student, a year away from graduation. If she appear for IELTS and secure CLB level 4 ( minimum), will I get 5 points?

IS my understanding correct? I am not confident about my above statement which I concluded after reading article.
Thanks.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
I have 64 points. My Wife is undergraduate student, a year away from graduation. If she appear for IELTS and secure CLB level 4 ( minimum), will I get 5 points?

IS my understanding correct? I am not confident about my above statement which I concluded after reading article.
Thanks.
You can get points for her education and language but if i remember correctly 6.5 is the minimum or 6 am not sure,maybe someone else can clarify,what are those 64 points you are talking about here?

masimshehzad

Oct 20, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. I have checked the above link and it says that my wife only need CLB level four? Its very difficult to believe that CLB requirements is so low? Is it? CLB level 4 means that she need 4 or 5 in band?

2. She is a year away from graduation and I am surpirsed to see that there is no other requirements for me to get her points? Like

her occupation should be listed?
He experience should be evaluated?( She has no experience )
Her degree should be assessed? ( she is a year away from graduation)

Kindly guide me and let me know if there is any additional requirements?

Thanks in advance to all.

Last edited:

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
This is just for eligibility under FSW stream. Here, under the 6 selection factor grid, you'll get 5 points if your spouse IELTS is at least CLB4 in each of the 4 sections. However, to get points for CRS, this will not be enough. You can check what your CRS score is coming to using the grid in the link below. Current CRS cut-off for ITA is 440 as per last draw, and it will not come down much below 435 this year as per analysis in this forum.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
You can get points for her education and language but if i remember correctly 6.5 is the minimum or 6 am not sure,maybe someone else can clarify,what are those 64 points you are talking about here?
OP is talking about the six selection factors. Only if you have more than 67 points in that, your profile becomes eligible. You get 5 points, if your dependents IELTS score is CLB 4 or more.

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
1. I have checked the above link and it says that my wife only need CLB level four? Its very difficult to believe that CLB requirements is so low? Is it? CLB level 4 means that she need 4 or 5 in band?

2. She is a year away from graduation and I am surpirsed to see that there is no other requirements for me to get her points? Like

her occupation should be listed?
He experience should be evaluated?( She has no experience )
Her degree should be assessed? ( she is a year away from graduation)

Kindly guide me and let me know if there is any additional requirements?

Thanks in advance to all.
1. It is CLB 4.
2. Most of the requirements are only for the Primary Applicant. There is nothing to be surprised here, she is only getting you limited number of points.

Reactions: masimshehzad

masimshehzad

Oct 20, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. It is CLB 4.
2. Most of the requirements are only for the Primary Applicant. There is nothing to be surprised here, she is only getting you limited number of points.

first of All thanks a lot for replying to me.

So even she is undergraduate and she has no experience, if she get the below score, my 64 points will convert to 69 and I will be eligible for IELTS?

Listening:4.5
Speaking: 3.5
Writing and Speaking : 4

Kindly re-confirm before I spend my money. Thanks.

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
first of All thanks a lot for replying to me.

So even she is undergraduate and she has no experience, if she get the below score, my 64 points will convert to 69 and I will be eligible for IELTS?

Listening:4.5
Speaking: 3.5
Writing and Speaking : 4

Kindly re-confirm before I spend my money. Thanks.
The following IELTS scores are required for achieving CLB4. You'll get 5 points under the six factor eligibility criteria with this score for your wife.
Listening: 4.5, Reading: 3.5, Writing: 4.0, Speaking: 4.0
Please refer to the link below:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/language-requirements/language-testing.html

But as I said earlier, you'll get 0 point with CLB4 for CRS calculation for your wife, you'll get 4 points for CLB5-6, 12 points for CLB7-8 and 20 points for CLB9-10. So unless, you're getting a CRS score of 440+ even without her IELTS score, it'll be a good idea for her to try and score more on IELTS :)

masimshehzad

Oct 20, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The following IELTS scores are required for achieving CLB4. You'll get 5 points under the six factor eligibility criteria with this score for your wife.
Listening: 4.5, Reading: 3.5, Writing: 4.0, Speaking: 4.0
Please refer to the link below:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/language-requirements/language-testing.html

But as I said earlier, you'll get 0 point with CLB4 for CRS calculation for your wife, you'll get 4 points for CLB5-6, 12 points for CLB7-8 and 20 points for CLB9-10. So unless, you're getting a CRS score of 440+ even without her IELTS score, it'll be a good idea for her to try and score more on IELTS :)

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive and informative reply. The information is new to me and its quite useful for me. Thanks a lot again.

Here is what I understood.

1. If my wife score CLB 4, my current 64 points will increase to 69 and I will be eligible to lodge my application. However, my CRS points will remain same as before and my wife IELTS will have no impact on it.
2. If My wife score CLB 5 or above, my CRS points will also increase.

Kindly confirm.

Thanks.

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
Thanks a lot for your comprehensive and informative reply. The information is new to me and its quite useful for me. Thanks a lot again.

Here is what I understood.

1. If my wife score CLB 4, my current 64 points will increase to 69 and I will be eligible to lodge my application. However, my CRS points will remain same as before and my wife IELTS will have no impact on it.
2. If My wife score CLB 5 or above, my CRS points will also increase.

Kindly confirm.

Thanks.
Your understanding is correct. The first one is eligibility score which is calculated out of 100 points and you need to have 67 points just to be eligible. The second one is the Comprehensive Ranking Score which determines your position in the Express Entry pool and you need to have equal or more than the cut-off score in any draw to get the Invitation To Apply (ITA) for PR.
What is your current CRS coming to without your wife's IELTS?

masimshehzad

Oct 20, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its 339 now :(

I am struggling with IELTS again so my score improves.

so if my wife score 5 ( what I expect), I will get 4 CRS points?

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
Its 339 now :(

I am struggling with IELTS again so my score improves.

so if my wife score 5 ( what I expect), I will get 4 CRS points?
Yes, she'll basically get 1 point for attaining CLB5 in each section (max 4 points), 3 points for attaining CLB7 in each section (max 12 points) and 5 points for attaining CLB9 in each section (max 20 points)