+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my study permit at the airport with my current visa?

trinitypausch

Jul 2, 2023
Hi everyone,

After being admitted to a graduate program for Fall 2020, I deferred my Ph.D. offer to Spring 2021 and started it remotely due to the delay in obtaining my visa. I finally received my visa to study for my Ph.D. a few months later; however, I withdrew from my Ph.D. program at the university due to COVID-19 circumstances, so I could not land in Canada and attend the Graduate Program.

I was later offered the opportunity to reapply for the Fall 2023 Ph.D. program in the same department at the same university (DLI) by my potential supervisor.

Before beginning my application for a study permit, I submitted a webform in September to inquire whether I could use my current valid visa and letter of introduction for my new Ph.D. program. The response I received through my IRCC account was a letter providing an explanation, stating that:

"There is no need to re-apply, as your previous study permit is still valid and you should not have a problem getting your study permit when you arrive. However you will have to apply for a study permit extension in the future in order to complete your program."

Would you be able to inform me if it's possible for an officer at the airport to deport me, despite having a valid visa that was issued three years ago, along with a letter of introduction, a new admission letter, a new scholarship, and other necessary documents? Thank you kindly.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

trinitypausch

Jul 2, 2023
No, you cannot obtain a study permit at the airport with your current visa. A study permit is a separate document that you need to apply for and obtain before arriving in the country.

If you are NRI's & need a birth certificate. Then go online with NRIWAY and get your birth certificate required for green card.
I'm sorry, but that information is incorrect. Based on IRCC website, Study permits are actually obtained by students at airports or ports of entry. If you're unsure of the answer, it's better to refrain from providing one.

I have obtained my visa, letter of introduction, and an updated admission letter. Although some people, one of whom is my compatriot and got his study permit in the same situation, suggested that I could easily get my study permit at the airports without any problem, I prefer to seek advice from more experienced individuals before proceeding.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I'm sorry, but that information is incorrect. Based on IRCC website, Study permits are actually obtained by students at airports or ports of entry. If you're unsure of the answer, it's better to refrain from providing one.

I have obtained my visa, letter of introduction, and an updated admission letter. Although some people, one of whom is my compatriot and got his study permit in the same situation, suggested that I could easily get my study permit at the airports without any problem, I prefer to seek advice from more experienced individuals before proceeding.
Yes you can get study permit from airport. If you applied for study permit from your home country and you have approved valid TRV for study permit you will get a printed study permit from airport by officer . Make sure you carry approval letter along with your offer letter from college. You should be fine .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Because you study permit was valid for 5 years you still have an approved study permit even though your studies have been delayed for a few years. As long as you have your LOA you will get study permit when landing in Canada. You will need to extend your study permit to finish your PhD and I would recommend applying or an extension around 6 months before the expiry date or your current study permit

trinitypausch

Jul 2, 2023
Yes you can get study permit from airport. If you applied for study permit from your home country and you have approved valid TRV for study permit you will get a printed study permit from airport by officer . Make sure you carry approval letter along with your offer letter from college. You should be fine .
Hi @Miss bee
Yes, I have a valid Visa, a New admission letter from the same DLI, a letter from IRCC explaining that there is no need to re-apply to get a study permit since my document is still valid, etc.

trinitypausch

Jul 2, 2023
Because you study permit was valid for 5 years you still have an approved study permit even though your studies have been delayed for a few years. As long as you have your LOA you will get study permit when landing in Canada. You will need to extend your study permit to finish your PhD and I would recommend applying or an extension around 6 months before the expiry date or your current study permit
Great help, indeed. Thanks for your time and consideration.
As stated, I can confirm that I possess a valid visa, LOA, and admission letter for Fall 2023.
The letter from IRCC also confirms your statement that I should extend my study permit after my arrival to accomplish my Ph.D.

Last edited:

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi @Miss bee
Yes, I have a valid Visa, a New admission letter from the same DLI, a letter from IRCC explaining that there is no need to re-apply to get a study permit since my document is still valid, etc.
No you don’t have to apply new study permit.
When you arrive in Canada
When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet a border services officer who will make sure you meet some basic requirements. To enter Canada, you must

• have a valid travel document, such as a passport
  • have the port of entry letter of introductionthe visa office sent you when they approved your study permit
    • This letter has your permit reference number, which we use to issue your study permit.
  • have a copy of a valid letter of acceptance from your school
  • have letters of reference or any other documents the visa office told you to bring
  • have a valid electronic travel authorization (eTA), a valid visitor visa (temporary resident visa), a valid green card (or equivalent official proof of U.S. status) or another valid travel document
    • If you have a valid eTA, it’ll be linked to the passport you used to apply for your study permit

Reactions: trinitypausch

trinitypausch

Jul 2, 2023
No you don’t have to apply new study permit.
When you arrive in Canada
When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet a border services officer who will make sure you meet some basic requirements. To enter Canada, you must

• have a valid travel document, such as a passport
  • have the port of entry letter of introductionthe visa office sent you when they approved your study permit
    • This letter has your permit reference number, which we use to issue your study permit.
  • have a copy of a valid letter of acceptance from your school
  • have letters of reference or any other documents the visa office told you to bring
  • have a valid electronic travel authorization (eTA), a valid visitor visa (temporary resident visa), a valid green card (or equivalent official proof of U.S. status) or another valid travel document
    • If you have a valid eTA, it’ll be linked to the passport you used to apply for your study permit
Great help @Miss bee Thank you so much.
For an entire month, I struggled to sleep due to the immense stress of possibly being denied entry by the officer and not receiving my study permit.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Great help @Miss bee Thank you so much.
For an entire month, I struggled to sleep due to the immense stress of possibly being denied entry by the officer and not receiving my study permit.
No worries my friend. Make sure you carry most important document which is enrolment letter from your school and answer some basic questions about your school and education and program to officer .

• Love
Reactions: trinitypausch

trinitypausch

Jul 2, 2023
No worries my friend. Make sure you carry most important document which is enrolment letter from your school and answer some basic questions about your school and education and program to officer .
I have just downloaded the enrollment letter and would like to express my sincerest appreciation for your benevolence. Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
I have just downloaded the enrollment letter and would like to express my sincerest appreciation for your benevolence. Thank you very much for your kind assistance.
Hellooo... could you tell me how was your experience at the airport? Did you receive your study permit with the new dates? Or you have to ask for an extension?