+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my PGWP extended, got 1 year instead of 3! HELP!

Rooke

Jan 31, 2024
One year as you didn’t complete your first program. You need two completed programs to combine them.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I talked with an immigration consultant and he told me that I should submit all transcripts of my 2 years of studies and the certificate of completion from latest certificate. He has seen cases that clients get 3 years of pgwp.

His reasoning is that IRCC cares about these things:

1. You were full-time all while you were studying
2. Length of your total studies inside canada.

What is he basing this on?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply.

I talked with an immigration consultant and he told me that I should submit all transcripts of my 2 years of studies and the certificate of completion from latest certificate. He has seen cases that clients get 3 years of pgwp.

His reasoning is that IRCC cares about these things:

1. You were full-time all while you were studying
2. Length of your total studies inside canada.

What is he basing this on?
The whole point of a PGWP is completion of a program.

You may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if you graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) and want to stay in Canada temporarily to work.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

Rooke

Jan 31, 2024
This is worrying.

Now I have a chance to apply for a certificate program back in the university which has some courses overlapped with the undergraduate program. It will take me one semester to finish this certificate.

Do you think this will allow me to apply for pgwp with all the certificates and transcripts and make it a 3year pgwp?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This is worrying.

Now I have a chance to apply for a certificate program back in the university which has some courses overlapped with the undergraduate program. It will take me one semester to finish this certificate.

Do you think this will allow me to apply for pgwp with all the certificates and transcripts and make it a 3year pgwp?
So you will have two completed programs or one two-year completed program? The word is completed. Read the link.

If you completed more than 1 program

You may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program.

Each of the programs you completed must be

• PGWP eligible and
  • at least 8 months (or 900 hours for Quebec credentials) in length

Reactions: Rooke

Rooke

Jan 31, 2024
So you will have two completed programs or one two-year completed program? The word is completed. Read the link.

If you completed more than 1 program

You may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program.

Each of the programs you completed must be

• PGWP eligible and
  • at least 8 months (or 900 hours for Quebec credentials) in length
I will have completed two separate 1 year programs then.
I am wondering why the immigration consultant I talked with told me that the length of education matters. So just submit one year certificate and 2years worth of all the transcripts showing that I studied 2 years of education. Regardless whether I received any completion certificate from the first one.

Is there any immigration consultant you would suggest I should call? I am in Saskatchewan.