+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I fulfill my RO when entering with US passport?

Oct 12, 2023
I got PR when I was a child but my PR card has expired. I didn't meet RO since I moved back to the states with my mom when I was younger. Though my PR status never got revoked.

Can I enter with a US passport and fulfill my 2 year RO? Can I stay 2 years in a row since I'll be considered a visitor with my American passport and then renew my PR card? Or can I reenter every couple months period and meet the 2 year RO within a 5 year period and renew?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got PR when I was a child but my PR card has expired. I didn't meet RO since I moved back to the states with my mom when I was younger. Though my PR status never got revoked.

Can I enter with a US passport and fulfill my 2 year RO? Can I stay 2 years in a row since I'll be considered a visitor with my American passport and then renew my PR card? Or can I reenter every couple months period and meet the 2 year RO within a 5 year period and renew?
Yes, you can try either of these. The first one has a higher chance of succeeding. Keep in mind that officers may be able to see that you are a PR when your passport is swiped. Also keep in mind that it's possible at any time for the CBSA officer to report you for failing to meet the residency obligation which would trigger a process to officially revoked your PR status. The safest bet is to enter once, hope you are not reported, and then stay for two years.

The downside of both of these scenarios is that there's a good chance you will not be able to qualify for health care coverage while in Canada (until you have a valid PR card again). Hopefully you obtained a SIN when you were younger.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Assume you don’t have a partner or children. You can’t hide your PR status so if asked about your status you will have to be honest. If you aren’t asked then technically don’t have to admit that you are a PR. If the computer system works and old records have been input correctly the system should flag you as a PR.