+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I flagpole to extend my PGWP without a valid TRV??

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Babasalaa1 said:
You can flagpole anytime, you dont need any visa whether us or canada. I just flgpoled last week
You don't need US visa because you're not entering in US

However you need a valid status in Canada to avoid the risk to be refused.

You cannot flagpolling under Implied Status.

You cannot flagpolling with expired Permits.

If you're not from a visa-exempt country you could need a valid visa (multiple entry visa or a new single entry visa).
I don't know the details about visas, so better be sure about it before do it.

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Gregor.Samsa said:
You don't need US visa because you're not entering in US

However you need a valid status in Canada to avoid the risk to be refused.

You cannot flagpolling under Implied Status.

You cannot flagpolling with expired Permits.

If you're not from a visa-exempt country you could need a valid visa (multiple entry visa or a new single entry visa).
I don't know the details about visas, so better be sure about it before do it.
You are right about not needing US Visa.
You cannot flagpole if you have an expired permit, be it study permit or work permit.
However, even if you are from a visa-exempt country- you can still flagpole because of the status that you currently possess in Canada, i.e either a student or worker.

I just flagpoled last week. I still had a valid PGWP. However when it comes to extending PGWP- flagpoling can depend on the Canadian Border Service Agent that is processing your application. Most of the time they only process new PGWP. But if you have all the right papers and can prove that nature of urgency, you might be in luck.

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Joantasik said:
I am planning to Flag pole. DO you have any tips?
I believe you already read this - http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/got-pgwp-extension-over-flagpole-t398036.0.html

Try to be as professional and knowledgeable as possible. Be polite, get all your documents in place and go to the border when it is not busy. Good Luck.

ali357

Nov 13, 2015
Hello everyone,

Firstly, this information has been very helpful and a source of hope. So thank you very much for that.

I have one additional question to this.

I applied for the PGWP extension via paper based application. But since I need it urgently and decide to flag poll, how can I cancel this previous application? If I cannot cancel and get another work permit, would that complicate matters? I'd really appreciate the feedback and if anything is unclear do let me know.

I truly hope everyone facing similar circumstances come out strong.

Warm regards,

Ali

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
ali357 said:
Hello everyone,

Firstly, this information has been very helpful and a source of hope. So thank you very much for that.

I have one additional question to this.

I applied for the PGWP extension via paper based application. But since I need it urgently and decide to flag poll, how can I cancel this previous application? If I cannot cancel and get another work permit, would that complicate matters? I'd really appreciate the feedback and if anything is unclear do let me know.

I truly hope everyone facing similar circumstances come out strong.

Warm regards,

Ali
Firts get the new PGWP at the border.

Your previous application should be automatically withdrawn at some point, however it's better to withdraw it yourself.

Use CSE if you applied online, add a Letter of explanation with tour info and a copy of new PGWP.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

For paper applications, I don't know, better call/email CIC

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
codeguru said:
You are right about not needing US Visa.
You cannot flagpole if you have an expired permit, be it study permit or work permit.
However, even if you are from a visa-exempt country- you can still flagpole because of the status that you currently possess in Canada, i.e either a student or worker.

I just flagpoled last week. I still had a valid PGWP. However when it comes to extending PGWP- flagpoling can depend on the Canadian Border Service Agent that is processing your application. Most of the time they only process new PGWP. But if you have all the right papers and can prove that nature of urgency, you might be in luck.
Did they ultimately allow you to extend your PGWP for the full duration via flagpoling? Went today and they said they can't do it, and can only do new work permits. I had all the forms but they said only CIC can do it.

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gregor.Samsa said:
Firts get the new PGWP at the border.

Your previous application should be automatically withdrawn at some point, however it's better to withdraw it yourself.

Use CSE if you applied online, add a Letter of explanation with tour info and a copy of new PGWP.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

For paper applications, I don't know, better call/email CIC
Do you know how to apply for PGWP extension online? haven't found a clear guide yet..