+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I flagpol for work permit (PGWP) after I applied online with CIC?

Fubu

Sep 18, 2015
Hello All,

I am currently on student visa in Canada and completed masters in computer science (2.5 years) recently. Processing time of PGWP is 120 days (weird) . I am currently working on implied status. My TRV and Study permit is expiring on 30-Sept and have already applied for PGWP a month ago.

My nationality is Indian but I know for sure I can do flagpoling as I already have study permit (Check below quote from CIC website). Lot of my friends also just did the flagpoling for work permit.

My question is does anyone know, if I can do flagpoling after applying online PGWP?

From CIC website:-

Many people are unaware that those from TRV-required countries are ALSO eligible to flagpole at the Canadian Point of Entry under Regulation 190 (3)(f)(i) and (ii) which state:

190. (1) Visa exemption – purpose of entry – A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they are seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely
(f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St.Pierre and Miquelon, if they
(i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident (read: visitor), and
(ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it

raghu7e

Nov 15, 2015
Hi

I've a similar case. I applied applied online for PGWP and wanted to flagpoling as it's been six months that i applied for PGWP.

Can you tell me, how it's done and how did it go?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
raghu7e said:
Hi

I've a similar case. I applied applied online for PGWP and wanted to flagpoling as it's been six months that i applied for PGWP.

Can you tell me, how it's done and how did it go?
Re-read the OP's post. You have to hold a visa exempt passport for the flagpoling to be possible - it's one of the requirements. Based on your earlier post, you need a TRV and therefore hold a non-visa exempt passport. So flagpoling is not an option for you.