+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I finish an unfinished Bachelors Digree in Animal science at a Canadian college/university?

Dec 14, 2023
Hi, I am from Jamaica. Hopefully I will be in Canada by early next year. I will be going on a two year work permit. After which I want to study Veterinary Science as I am a Vet Tech by profession.
I have an unfinshed Bachelors in Animal science and I want to know if it is possible for me to finish the course or another course similar to it at a college/university?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I am from Jamaica. Hopefully I will be in Canada by early next year. I will be going on a two year work permit. After which I want to study Veterinary Science as I am a Vet Tech by profession.
I have an unfinshed Bachelors in Animal science and I want to know if it is possible for me to finish the course or another course similar to it at a college/university?
Well you need a study permit, and you must talk to the school you want to attend to find out if any of your courses are transferable. Each school will be different so no one can tell you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Getting into veterinary school is possibly the hardest program to get into in Canada due to limited spots and competition. Many Canadians are forced to go abroad to study to become a veterinarian. I would assume that programs are unlikely to accept transfer credits. As an international student it will be extremely difficult to get accepted and you would have to pay very high fees as an international student.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl
Dec 14, 2023
im not trying to get into vet school right away. I just want to finish my degree at a stronger university than the college I attend in Jamaica. And I wont be coming as an international student. I will be comming on a 2 year work permit. During that time I should be able to gain residence.
basicaly I intend to work and save money before I tryout any colleges and I realy dont want to do over an entire 4 year Bachelors course.

Dec 14, 2023
And with my 3 year experience as a Vet Tech I should be able to find jobs in Animal care of some sort after I fullfil my work permit obligations. So if the Vet School plan does not work out as you said with how competive it is. At least having a Canadian Animal Science digreee of some sort will be a huge help.
I am trying to take 1 step at a time. In no rush.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
im not trying to get into vet school right away. I just want to finish my degree at a stronger university than the college I attend in Jamaica. And I wont be coming as an international student. I will be comming on a 2 year work permit. During that time I should be able to gain residence.
basicaly I intend to work and save money before I tryout any colleges and I realy dont want to do over an entire 4 year Bachelors course.
You will be an international student unless you get PR. PR after working for 2 years doesn’t guarantee PR. What is your NOC and province? To go a DVM, you probably need at least 2 years at a university. I doubt you can transfer any credits. DVM is through universities and not colleges and only a few in the country offer DVM programs. As said, they are the most competitive programs in the country.

Dec 14, 2023
I am not looking to get into a DVM any time soon. What I want to do is finish my Bachelors at a Canadian University so I can atleast have that. There are lots of prospects in Animal science. I wont be upset if Vet school is out of my reach.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am not looking to get into a DVM any time soon. What I want to do is finish my Bachelors at a Canadian University so I can atleast have that. There are lots of prospects in Animal science. I wont be upset if Vet school is out of my reach.
Ok. First you need to be eligible and invited for PR if you plan studying as a domestic student, so focus is getting as high as school as possible. If you don’t have a degree, then what education do you have for immigration programs.

Dec 14, 2023
I finished High school. Then I went to college. Covid messed everything up. I had to work for a few years while not in college and then I got the oppertunity to work in Canada. I am 27 so i dont want to waste 4 more years to do a bachelors from scratch.

Dec 14, 2023
Ok. First you need to be eligible and invited for PR if you plan studying as a domestic student, so focus is getting as high as school as possible. If you don’t have a degree, then what education do you have for immigration programs.
So i did some reading. I am getting my visa through IRCC and I found out that I can have both a work visa and Student visa at the same time. I dont intend to do anything now. But nearing the end of my 1st or 2nd year i will start looking into the process for college. I realy want to finish my Bachelors at an international school. Its worth much more than the Jamaican version could ever be.
In regards to PR. I am confident that I will get it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no generic answer to this question.

It depends on the school you want to attend Canada and if they recognize your school in Jamaica / will accept transfer credits from that school.

You will need to contact schools in Canada that have programs you want to attend and discuss with them if they will accept transfer credits from your school.

Reactions: canuck78

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So i did some reading. I am getting my visa through IRCC and I found out that I can have both a work visa and Student visa at the same time. I dont intend to do anything now. But nearing the end of my 1st or 2nd year i will start looking into the process for college. I realy want to finish my Bachelors at an international school. Its worth much more than the Jamaican version could ever be.
In regards to PR. I am confident that I will get it.
So you said you are coming to work for 2 years on a work permit in your first post. So you have an approved work permit? You have an approved LMIA and work permit?

Dec 14, 2023
There's no generic answer to this question.

It depends on the school you want to attend Canada and if they recognize your school in Jamaica / will accept transfer credits from that school.

You will need to contact schools in Canada that have programs you want to attend and discuss with them if they will accept transfer credits from your school.

I sent out some emails to one of the schools I researched.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I sent out some emails to one of the schools I researched.
In general unless the international school has a partnership with the Canadian school it is typically difficult to get transfer credits or all the transfer credits you want. Some of the general science courses have the highest probability of being accepted if they are part of the Jamaican and Canadian curriculum. Did you complete a degree to become a vet tech? If so have you verified that the program would be considered by the province where you live. You would also have to pass the licensing exam.