+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I file Citizenship application if I currently work abroad?

tulip_001

Dec 1, 2012
Hello, according to the new law I am eligible for Citizenship application. However, I am currently working abroad on 2 ye contract. I am paying all the taxes to maintain my PR. Can I still apply for Citizenship in this case?

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Hello, according to the new law I am eligible for Citizenship application. However, I am currently working abroad on 2 ye contract. I am paying all the taxes to maintain my PR. Can I still apply for Citizenship in this case?
If you are eligible yes you can apply from abroad but it could be delay in process.

tulip_001

Dec 1, 2012
If you are eligible yes you can apply from abroad but it could be delay in process.
Thank you very much for getting back to me! Why do you think it can delay the application process? What if I came to Canada for a few weeks to file an application, would it make a difference? I am trying to work out what would be better - to renew my PR or to apply for the citizenship.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Thank you very much for getting back to me! Why do you think it can delay the application process? What if I came to Canada for a few weeks to file an application, would it make a difference? I am trying to work out what would be better - to renew my PR or to apply for the citizenship.
There is difference after eligible period if you are applying from abroad application from day one will be on red-flag and officer can ask more scrutiny checks from abroad where you are working and it could be more worst if that country is from middle east.

This is my personal experience with them better you take some professional advice also.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Aside from the citizenship issue, paying taxes in Canada does absolutely nothing to "maintain your PR". Unless you qualify under a very limited set of circumstances, time outside Canada does not count towards the PR Residency Obligation.

tulip_001

Dec 1, 2012
Aside from the citizenship issue, paying taxes in Canada does absolutely nothing to "maintain your PR". Unless you qualify under a very limited set of circumstances, time outside Canada does not count towards the PR Residency Obligation.
Yes, the number of days counts, but they could also check your tax return status. I am eligible for PR renewal by the number of days I stayed in Canada in the last 5 years. To renew PR status, you have to be physically present in Canada 2 years out of five.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, the number of days counts, but they could also check your tax return status. I am eligible for PR renewal by the number of days I stayed in Canada in the last 5 years. To renew PR status, you have to be physically present in Canada 2 years out of five.
I didn't say you weren't eligible for renewal or that you didn't have enough days in Canada. I just want you to understand that filing taxes in Canada while living abroad does nothing to "maintain your PR status", which is what you stated.

tulip_001

Dec 1, 2012
There is difference after eligible period if you are applying from abroad application from day one will be on red-flag and officer can ask more scrutiny checks from abroad where you are working and it could be more worst if that country is from middle east.

This is my personal experience with them better you take some professional advice also.
I see :( I am working as expat in the Middle East but I am not from the Middle East originally. I lost my job in Canada and that contract was my only available option. I lived in Edmonton and economic situation in Alberta keep on going down. In my job contract my job is described as "training job" so I thought that if I would be asked during the interview, I could stress that I went there to improve my professional skills to be more competitive on Canadian job market after my contract abroad ends and I am back to Canada.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
I see :( I am working as expat in the Middle East but I am not from the Middle East originally. I lost my job in Canada and that contract was my only available option. I lived in Edmonton and economic situation in Alberta keep on going down. In my job contract my job is described as "training job" so I thought that if I would be asked during the interview, I could stress that I went there to improve my professional skills to be more competitive on Canadian job market after my contract abroad ends and I am back to Canada.
I can feel that because I stay in middle east 30 years and when I migrated to Canada found lot of surprises and pain but once got a job in Canada than realised that Canada is much better than middle east. Only tax free money attract the professionals to middle east.

tulip_001

Dec 1, 2012
I can feel that because I stay in middle east 30 years and when I migrated to Canada found lot of surprises and pain but once got a job in Canada than realised that Canada is much better than middle east. Only tax free money attract the professionals to middle east.
After 5 years in Canada I feel much better here. People are different and their reasons my different from yours. Do not be cynical and jugful.