+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extend my PGWP due to passport expiry?

Shourya Jain

Mar 17, 2022
Category........
WP
LANDED..........
11-09-2020
After graduating back in April 2022, I applied for PGWP instantly and received it in August after 4 months. Though I was supposed to get it for 3 years since I was enrolled in a 2 year program, the document is valid till the date my passport was expiring which is April 2023 (for approx 8 months).

At the bottom under the remarks it mentions as follows:
TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(5). POST-GRADUATE EMPLOYMENT. DOCUMENT ISSUED TO PASSPORT VALIDITY DATE.

Now that I have renewed my passport which I received just 3 days ago, I want to confirm if I can apply for post-graduate work permit extension?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I guess you could. Just make sure to attach a letter with a detailed explanation of your situation.

My wife had a similar problem when we arrived in Canada, me as a student and she as a spouse companion. Her passport was expiring six months before my SP expiring date, So they gave her a WP which expired on the same date as her passport. Then she renewed her passport and requested a new WP. It was approved with the same expiring date as my SP.

You'll have to pay the fees again.

Reactions: Shourya Jain

Shourya Jain

Mar 17, 2022
Category........
WP
LANDED..........
11-09-2020
I guess you could. Just make sure to attach a letter with a detailed explanation of your situation.

My wife had a similar problem when we arrived in Canada, me as a student and she as a spouse companion. Her passport was expiring six months before my SP expiring date, So they gave her a WP which expired on the same date as her passport. Then she renewed her passport and requested a new WP. It was approved with the same expiring date as my SP.

You'll have to pay the fees again.
Ah, It's good to know that I'm still eligible to apply for PGWP extension. Such a big relief, Thank you so much @andrews17 !

I just need one more small favour. Is is possible if you could share your letter of explanation or over the DM, as per your comfort?
The content will be different since our situations are different, but it will help me in framing my letter of letter of explanation.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
https://www.canadavisa.com/pgwp-holders-apply-for-an-open-work-permit-extension.html

Normally, PGWPs are issued for a predetermined period of time and are not extendable. International students graduating from an eligible full-time program may be eligible for an open work permit which can have a validity period of up to three years.

---

Since your current PGWP expires in April, you may not benefit from the pilot OWP program:
Canada has announced that Post-Graduation Work Permit holders whose work permit has expired or will expire between September 20, 2021 and December 31, 2022, may qualify for an additional new open work permit.