+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extend a visitor record or do I have to leave Canada?

Keebs0113

Nov 30, 2017
My wife is Canadian and I'm American. I received a visitor record about a month ago. I work in the US and then come home to my wife in Ontario every day. She was just approved for a US visa and we're looking to buy a house. My visitor record expires at the end of September. If we're still looking at houses or are still closing on a house (which is the more likely scenario) when the visitor record expires, do I have to leave the country or can I request an extension? If I do have to leave, how long do I have to stay out before I can re-enter?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
My wife is Canadian and I'm American. I received a visitor record about a month ago. I work in the US and then come home to my wife in Ontario every day. She was just approved for a US visa and we're looking to buy a house. My visitor record expires at the end of September. If we're still looking at houses or are still closing on a house (which is the more likely scenario) when the visitor record expires, do I have to leave the country or can I request an extension? If I do have to leave, how long do I have to stay out before I can re-enter?

Thanks for any help that you can give.
You can extend your stay online. May be able to flagpole at US border.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You're not able to live in Canada at the moment so would expect that you will be refused at the border one day. Visitor status is not meant for people who cross the border daily.