+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I enter Canada while immigration visa is processing

tull99

Apr 8, 2015
Hi,
My wife is Canadian (living in Australia with me) and I am Australian. My wife has been accepted as a sponsor, Can anyone confirm whether we can go into Canada "one way" and wait until my Spousal Visa completes processing? It has been five and a half months since we applied.

Thanks!

Lamja

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
Macedonia
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-04-2015 (SA)
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
14-02-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-08-2015 | TOTAL: 164 Days |
LANDED..........
08-09-2015
tull99 said:
Hi,
My wife is Canadian (living in Australia with me) and I am Australian. My wife has been accepted as a sponsor, Can anyone confirm whether we can go into Canada "one way" and wait until my Spousal Visa completes processing? It has been five and a half months since we applied.

Thanks!
because ur Australian and u dont need visa for enter Canada, sure u can go and wait in Canada.

good luck

InfoLock

Dec 13, 2014
Don Valley Victoria, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
NOC 8251
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
Not required
IELTS Request
Not required
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
12-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-07-2015
I think you can wait for a max of 6 months in Canada.

blink1ate2

Star Member
Nov 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2014
AOR Received.
03-03-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2014
Not an expert on this question but yes you can "visit" Canada for 6 months as you are Australian. I have read on other websites that you should have a return ticket or proof of funds that you can purchase a return ticket. We will most likely not have approval before my UK visa runs out so before we return to Canada we will purchase a refundable ticket for my fiancé (husband by that time) for around 6 months from the time he enters Canada.

You would need to update your address and once your approval comes you just need to take a quick trip over to the USA to land!

InfoLock

Dec 13, 2014
Don Valley Victoria, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
NOC 8251
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
Not required
IELTS Request
Not required
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
12-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-07-2015
Hi this is from an email I just received from canadianvisa.org

In answer to your question, the fact that you would have a permanent residence application pending will not affect your ability to enter Canada as a visitor. So in the example that you gave there would be no problem for you to come to Canada. In the event that the application was approved while you are in Canada, you would need to leave the country and re-enter to get your passport stamped and your immigration status updated/changed. This could be done by simply crossing the border into the United States and then back into Canada.

For your information, there is also the option to enter Canada as a visitor before your application is filed. Once you are in Canada the application would be filed and you could then apply for what is called "implied status", which would allow you to remain in Canada until the application is processed and final decision is issued.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
InfoLock said:
For your information, there is also the option to enter Canada as a visitor before your application is filed. Once you are in Canada the application would be filed and you could then apply for what is called "implied status", which would allow you to remain in Canada until the application is processed and final decision is issued.
this information is not correct. A PR application ALONE does not give a person implied status. If a PR application is submitted outland, a person can enter canada as a visitor anytime, and they will have visitor status until that expires. Outland applicants can get implied status if they apply to extend their stay as a visitor prior to their current stay expiring. The implied status will end as soon as CIC makes a determination on THAT request.

If a person applies inland, they will get implied status if they ALSO submit an application for an OWP (or other type of work/study? permit or a status extension request) ALONG with their application for PR. A PR applicant does NOT get implied status just by submitting ONLY a PR application. There must be another application sent with the PR application to get implied status. Implied status would only be in effect as long as the person stays in Canada until there is a decision on the OWP (or other temp permit) or visitor extension.

tull99

Apr 8, 2015
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure we would have no problems going in on one way tickets. If that is OK then 6mnths should be enough to get processed

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tull99 said:
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure we would have no problems going in on one way tickets. If that is OK then 6mnths should be enough to get processed
You most likely need a two-way ticket. Since you are coming as a visitor to Canada, it's entirely possible the airline may not let you board the plane without a two-way ticket (on the slim chance you are refused entry and sent home, the airline will be saddled with the costs of flying you back home if you only have a one-way ticket - this is why airlines typically demand visitors have return flights). Having only a one way ticket may also complicate things at the border. You are certainly allowed to visit. However if it look like you're moving - Canadian immigration may not like that.

I would certainly start by speaking with the airline and finding out if they will even let you fly with a one-way.

sc0216

Apr 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2015
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Med's Done....