+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I enter Canada by private vehicle from US with my expired PR card? Still waiting on renewal but needed to urgently travel regardless

Mekalie

Jul 28, 2023
Hi there
I initialised a PR renewal prior to urgently leaving Canada for a dying family member in Australia (marked ‘urgent’ processing with a letter from Dr. in my application).
Haven’t heard anything regards processing.

Upon landing in Australia I also initialised a PRTD for returning on my now expired PR card - again no updates …

I will need to return to Canada for start of school (2 Canadian citizen children dual passport holders) -

any advice on how to enter Canada?

Is there a loophole in which I can re route my flight to the US and have husband collect us there in our own private vehicle and take us across border? Would they accept my returning PR status? I can provide all copies of my application.

thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there
I initialised a PR renewal prior to urgently leaving Canada for a dying family member in Australia (marked ‘urgent’ processing with a letter from Dr. in my application).
Haven’t heard anything regards processing.

Upon landing in Australia I also initialised a PRTD for returning on my now expired PR card - again no updates …

I will need to return to Canada for start of school (2 Canadian citizen children dual passport holders) -

any advice on how to enter Canada?

Is there a loophole in which I can re route my flight to the US and have husband collect us there in our own private vehicle and take us across border? Would they accept my returning PR status? I can provide all copies of my application.

thanks!
Yes, you can fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border. Yes, you will be allowed to enter Canada.

Mekalie

Jul 28, 2023
Yes, you can fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border. Yes, you will be allowed to enter Canada.
thank you for your response
To clarify I am flying on an Australian passport with recently expired PR card & my two children (thankfully they own Canadian passports, I do not)
My understanding I would need to ensure we have the valid ESTA visas to enter the US for all passports
And then, land crossing should not be an issue for myself?
Cheers

Mekalie

Jul 28, 2023
Yes, you can cross by private vehicle at a land border. it's not a loophole, you're not doing anything wrong.
thank youfor responding!

To clarify I am flying on an Australian passport with recently expired PR card & my two children (thankfully they own canadaian passports, I do not)
My understanding I would need to ensure we have the valid ESTA visas to enter the US for all passports
Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you for your response
To clarify I am flying on an Australian passport with recently expired PR card & my two children (thankfully they own Canadian passports, I do not)
Cheers
Only you need the ESTA.

Mekalie

Jul 28, 2023
Thank you for your response
I will look into re routing tickets/flights with necessary visas to enter the US - then meet my husband to collect us and drive us home.

We need to to get back home to Canada and the hold up for renewal system has had me extremely stressed!!! I’m trying to do all the right things but no phone numbers or people to even check if submissions have been started.

our situation very much dictated by time for my girls to sta

Thank you for your help, looking forward to having my family back together x anxious husband wanting to see us all!

Mekalie

Jul 28, 2023
Start the new school year*
I will look into re routing tickets/flights with necessary visas to enter the US - then meet my husband to collect us and drive us home.

We need to to get back home to Canada and the hold up for renewal system has had me extremely stressed!!! I’m trying to do all the right things but no phone numbers or people to even check if submissions have been started.

our situation very much dictated by time for my girls to start the school year!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thank youfor responding!

To clarify I am flying on an Australian passport with recently expired PR card & my two children (thankfully they own canadaian passports, I do not)
Cheers
Land crossing should not be an issue for you. I think others responded on what you'd need for USA, I know nothinga bout that.

gally

Star Member
Mar 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
10-03-2011
AOR Received.
07-02-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
Hi - I am also waiting for PRTD and wanting to travel back on Australian passport. I’ve been waiting for almost a month, application through Syd, Australia. Although I am only looking to visit Canada for a short holiday and return to Australia after 2 weeks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi - I am also waiting for PRTD and wanting to travel back on Australian passport. I’ve been waiting for almost a month, application through Syd, Australia. Although I am only looking to visit Canada for a short holiday and return to Australia after 2 weeks.
Travel to USA and cross border by private vehicle or on foot.

Reactions: gally

gally

Star Member
Mar 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
10-03-2011
AOR Received.
07-02-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011

our situation very much dictated by time for my girls to sta

Thank you for your help, looking forward to having my family back together x anxious husband wanting to see us all!
I was able to submit the IRCC web form and received an email response in regards to status of my application that it was under review with migration officer.