+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I drop the semester?

gagandesires

Aug 10, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I landed in Canada day before yesterday. I wanted to change my course but the guys at Centennial said that the deadline has passed. Now Im thinking to take transfer to some other college but that's also unlikely because its almost mid-September already. Now if I continue in Centennial and change my course in January, fees for 1 semester would be wasted.
The thing I want to ask is if I drop this semester and join some college is January, would that be fine or it could cause problem in future?

Please reply soon. Thanks in advance

Reactions: bhumesh

Anil K

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gagandesires said:
Hi, I landed in Canada day before yesterday. I wanted to change my course but the guys at Centennial said that the deadline has passed. Now Im thinking to take transfer to some other college but that's also unlikely because its almost mid-September already. Now if I continue in Centennial and change my course in January, fees for 1 semester would be wasted.
The thing I want to ask is if I drop this semester and join some college is January, would that be fine or it could cause problem in future?

Please reply soon. Thanks in advance
I feel u should not drop, continue in the same course and Probably u would be choosing the related course only, so u can transfer ur credits to ur course and can continue.
IDK but if u drop it may be a minus while applying to PR.
by the way which course are u in?
which course u want to shift? and why?
and can u share ur experience in canada?(not in POE)

gagandesires

Aug 10, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Im in course #3424: Computer Systems Technician: Networking and I want to get enrolled in course #3429 Software Engineering Technology because I have no interest in networking and moreover this course is of 1 year which will only fetch me 1 year work permit. I asked the student services, they said they're not sure if I can transfer credits.

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
Um... Why did you even apply for a course you have no interest in? o_O

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gagandesires said:
No one is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.

In the past, this could have been done quite easily.

However CIC is now tracking those on student visas more closely to ensure they actually attend school and haven't just used the student visa as a means of getting to Canada.

If you want to be safe, stay in school and don't take a semester off.

Reactions: dreamy2536

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u can actually transfer from "technician" course to "technology" course. but its a 3 year course :eek:

or just finish this semester, join another program next semester.

Reactions: bhumesh
Nov 18, 2013
Hi...

I think you can take drop in semester bt as per my knowledge they will ask you abt changing college or course when u apply for PR..
N also if u change ur course level u should inform to immigration n if course level is same then it is nt mendatory....