+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I drive my own car from USA to Canada and use it ?

luckyBoy

Star Member
May 3, 2014
Friends,

I have a very good car with me in USA, which I like to drive from US and start using the same in Canada too, ( as I see cars are expensive in the BC and not worth for that price )

Is it advisable, is it simple or complicated ?

Did a lot of research online, and didnt find anything in detai..can someone pleae help me with this..thanks in advance..

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yes you can. if you are only visiting, no issue - just make sure your insurance company covers any issues that can come up. if you are planning to immigrate and live in Canada longterm, then you will need to EXPORT it from the US and IMPORT it into canada. This does NOT need to happen at landing, though you want to make sure the car is listd on your B4 "goods to follow" form under conveyance so you do not have to pay duties on it when you do import it. in order to register it to Canada after importing, you will need to make sure it meets ALL Canadian safety guidelines. the most common fix is the daytime running lights, which is very easy for a mechanic to fix. i beleive for most cars it's a matter of "flipping a switch" on the car's computer.

here are some websites to learn about what's needed:
http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle
https://www.riv.ca/CostConsiderations.aspx

*note, you will need to notify US customs at least 72 hours before the planned export.

Depending on which province you are in, there *may* be a time limit for how long you can have the us car in canada without importing and registering it.

Reactions: ekramece

luckyBoy

Star Member
May 3, 2014
Awesome..thanks for taking time and replying..will do some research as u suggested..

BTW I m immigrating to British Columbia from California USA

bhavesh111111

May 12, 2010
yes you can
Its easy. My brother took my car to canada from USA. He Paid 2% tax because car was on my name. he contacted canada DMV for information because car is going to canada.you should contact canada DMV for that. you have to do some formalities like let port of entry (from where you will enter canada) know that you gonna bring your car to canada, 48 hours in advance. Even my brother in law took his own car to canada like 10 years ago.

so its very possible and even you can drive in canada on US licence for first 12 months.

newimm

Apr 5, 2017
Hi
I am interested in exporting my personal car from US to BC, Canada.

Does anybody know how to do the export of the vehicle. I see that we have to use a export broker for it. Can we do it ourselves ?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You do not need to use an export broker. You can do it yourself. The procedures are covered online in multiple places. Just make sure you include the car on your goods to follow form if you don't import it when you land.

Reactions: ekramece