+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I do freelance and part time with visitor visa?

snoopy_15

Jul 12, 2016
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and new to Canada. I apologize if this subject repeats in this forum but couldn't find with search.

I arrived as a visitor in Canada a month ago. My husband got work permit for three years and I come to visit him. As his spouse I applied for open work permit inside Canada and a process will take about three months. I want to know can I work something until I got work permit. I know that I can't have full time job and contract job, but what about freelance, or some additional job. I saw lot of ads for freelance and additional part-time jobs. Can I apply for them? I am web and software developer and I worked in my country in company and as a freelancer like additional job and didn't have problems. Can somebody explain me how that things work here?

How for example internship programs operate? Can I do some internship?

I really want to do something but don't want to risk my long term staying here. I want to work to meet people, make contacts...

I hope someone can help me with those questions. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you can't do any of these things on a visitor visa. If you do, you'll be working illegally and in violation of the conditions of your visitor visa. You need a work permit to engage in any kind of work in Canada - even if it's unpaid (e.g. unpaid internship).

Reactions: CanadaSimple

naksha

Oct 27, 2016
scylla said:
No - you can't do any of these things on a visitor visa. If you do, you'll be working illegally and in violation of the conditions of your visitor visa. You need a work permit to engage in any kind of work in Canada - even if it's unpaid (e.g. unpaid internship).
Hi.. I have a similar situation as snoopy_15. Your reply clarifies that without work permit we cannot, as a visitor, do any work physically in Canada. My doubt is, can we do freelancing online with our home country or any other country from Canada...If we can do online freelancing, should it be only with the country where we are authorized to work (home country) or it can be done with any country including Canada.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
naksha said:
Hi.. I have a similar situation as snoopy_15. Your reply clarifies that without work permit we cannot, as a visitor, do any work physically in Canada. My doubt is, can we do freelancing online with our home country or any other country from Canada...If we can do online freelancing, should it be only with the country where we are authorized to work (home country) or it can be done with any country including Canada.
You can do remote work for any employer as long as:

1) Your employer is not Canadian.
2) Your clients are not Canadian.
3) You are not recieving any remunaration in Canada.

aprillee

Star Member
Dec 8, 2015
snoopy_15 said:
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and new to Canada. I apologize if this subject repeats in this forum but couldn't find with search.

I arrived as a visitor in Canada a month ago. My husband got work permit for three years and I come to visit him. As his spouse I applied for open work permit inside Canada and a process will take about three months. I want to know can I work something until I got work permit. I know that I can't have full time job and contract job, but what about freelance, or some additional job. I saw lot of ads for freelance and additional part-time jobs. Can I apply for them? I am web and software developer and I worked in my country in company and as a freelancer like additional job and didn't have problems. Can somebody explain me how that things work here?

How for example internship programs operate? Can I do some internship?

I really want to do something but don't want to risk my long term staying here. I want to work to meet people, make contacts...

I hope someone can help me with those questions. Thank you!
If I understood corretly, you applied for a spouse work permit after arrival to Canada, right? Did you tell the officer at the airport that you were planning to do so? What did he say? Did you have a ticket back home?

naksha

Oct 27, 2016
Jalex23 said:

Thank you :)

umangs18

May 3, 2017
naksha said:
Thank you :)
Hi, thanks , this was informative, just wanted to check in addition to this discussion --
My Spouse will be working on a Work permit in Canada and i will have an Open Work Permit and not visitor visa then can I work for a non Canadian employer (as a free lancer of India) --Client is not Canadian /Employer not Canadian and paid in USD directly to India,paying taxes in India.

Floje

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2015
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
May 7, 2015
Med's Request
May 11, 2015
Med's Done....
May 20, 2015 Med's Passed.: May 28, 2015 Refused........: June 3, 2015 Second App...: June 4, 2015
Passport Req..
June 15, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 15, 2015
LANDED..........
August 21, 2015
umangs18 said:
Hi, thanks , this was informative, just wanted to check in addition to this discussion --
My Spouse will be working on a Work permit in Canada and i will have an Open Work Permit and not visitor visa then can I work for a non Canadian employer (as a free lancer of India) --Client is not Canadian /Employer not Canadian and paid in USD directly to India,paying taxes in India.
You may work full time in Canada if you are an Open Work Permit holder. Be it for a Canadian employer/client or not.

laroche

Jun 13, 2018

Hi! In my case, I've a freelancer contract with a company in my country (which respect the itens up here), and am going to CA to do a seasonal study program, as a tourist.
My question is, should I mention (in case asked for founds or so), that I'll keep working remotely part-time during my stay there?
Thanks!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi! In my case, I've a freelancer contract with a company in my country (which respect the itens up here), and am going to CA to do a seasonal study program, as a tourist.
My question is, should I mention (in case asked for founds or so), that I'll keep working remotely part-time during my stay there?
Thanks!
That question is unlikely to come up, and I also wouldn’t advise admitting you are remotely working, even if for a foreign company.