+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I do flag polling at US Canadian Border when at restoration status

Fantailed1

Jan 23, 2014
Hello! Can anybody tell me if I drive to the US-CA border to do flag polling in order to confirm my permanent residency at a time when I have applied for the restoration of status and a postgraduate work permit. I applied within 90 days after expiration of the study permit. In fact I recently finished my PhD and could not renew my study permit. Prior to applying for restoration, I called CIC office to book an appointment for port of entry or landing in Canada. They refused me to book an appointment for me since I do not have any legal status in Canada. They advised me to go to the border and try flag polling. I have now applied for restoration of status and wondering if I go to the border after driving to 600KM, would they allow me to do falg polling or not. Keep it mind I do not have US visa and I am citizen from a country who require visa for Canada and US. Kindly guide me before I could travel to the border if of any worth.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Fantailed1 said:
Hello! Can anybody tell me if I drive to the US-CA border to do flag polling in order to confirm my permanent residency at a time when I have applied for the restoration of status and a postgraduate work permit. I applied within 90 days after expiration of the study permit. In fact I recently finished my PhD and could not renew my study permit. Prior to applying for restoration, I called CIC office to book an appointment for port of entry or landing in Canada. They refused me to book an appointment for me since I do not have any legal status in Canada. They advised me to go to the border and try flag polling. I have now applied for restoration of status and wondering if I go to the border after driving to 600KM, would they allow me to do falg polling or not. Keep it mind I do not have US visa and I am citizen from a country who require visa for Canada and US. Kindly guide me before I could travel to the border if of any worth.
If you require a visa to enter Canada, you should have an IM -1 visa in your passport to permit you to land. That should have been done at the same time that your CoPR document was sent to you. You DO have a COPR? (silly question, I know, but I have to ask).

Fantailed1

Jan 23, 2014
zardoz said:
If you require a visa to enter Canada, you should have an IM -1 visa in your passport to permit you to land. That should have been done at the same time that your CoPR document was sent to you. You DO have a COPR? (silly question, I know, but I have to ask).
I have IMI visa and COPR document with me. I applied for immigration during my 5 year stay as student from within Canada. Once my case was about to finalized, I did not renew my study permit considering that my immigration is going to be finalized soon. After getting the IM1 visa and COPR letter, I asked CIC people over phone to book my appointment for landing at local airport. They refused me saying that you do not have legal status therefore you can not do landing at local airport. They said you can try going to border but they will ask your legal status in Canada before letting you do flag polling, but it depends on them they may or may not allow you. Keeping in view I applied for the restoration of my status in Canada and for postgraduate work permit to be on safe side or at least convince the immigration officer at border that my intentions were always to stay legally in Canada. Now question is would they allow me to Flagpole in this situation or ask me to wait until my status is restored. I am very much confused due to voracity of the answers provided my telephonic CIC service. Let me know if any body have any idea or experience.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I can't see any reason why you can't flagpole.. You have what you require to land as a PR.
Alternatively, you could leave Canada by air and return using your IM-1 visa.

Let's see if anyone else has any better ideas.

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i would avoid flag polling...pay attention to ur study and case..untill u have PR...dont take risk.

kings 11

Feb 25, 2015
Can you please let us know what was your experience at flag pole while landing on restoration status? thanks in advance

greenlemon

Star Member
Mar 13, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December15 2014
AOR Received.
April 15 2015
Med's Request
May 1 2015
Med's Done....
May 15 2015
Passport Req..
In God's time
Pls share with us your landing experiences... We are under the same boat... Pls update us. We will appreciate ur help.

nikhilch

Jul 26, 2020
I completed my master's program full-time on 28th April 2023 (Friday).
My study permit and TRV expired on 30th April (Sunday)
I received my course completion letter and official transcripts from my university on 1st May 2023 (Monday)
I applied for PGWP on 3rd May 2023 (Wednesday). I included the restoration of the student status payment receipt in the file and explained the above timeline.

In this case, I am not supposed to work until my PGWP gets approved. Processing time for PGWP is almost 5-6 months. I am a student with huge education loan and responsibilities. So I am looking for alternative ways to get PGWP and I found one option, which is flag polling.

Do you suggest me to do a flagpole in my situation? or
what shall I do in this situation?
Is it valid/good to go there?
What documents shall I carry with me?