+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I deposit more money in Canadian bank than I declared at POE ?

radu08

Sep 6, 2017
Bangladesh
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
29-08-2017
Med's Done....
12-09-2017
Passport Req..
20-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
Hi,
I sent some US dollars with my relative to Canada when they were visiting my home country. When I enter Canada for the first time I am going to carry some CADs. Question is, am I allowed to deposit more money while opening new bank account in Canada than I declared at port of entry ? (As I sent the US dollars with my relatives personally, I guess I can't declare those ? )
Does CIC track how much money a new immigrant deposits in new bank account and compare with the declared amount ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just ensure as sure you already know that if you have 10000 CDN or more total in any currency with you then you must declare everything else risk a fine or the money being confiscated. And no do not declare any money already in the country, only declare money with you if above the limit, there is no restriction how much as long as declared. The focus of CBSA is to do with money laundering and not specifically immigration.

No idea how much your relative carried for you on your behalf and sure people do this all the time but for anyone thinking of doing so ensure they know the rules as well else could be an awkward conversation otherwise which is why personally I would not expect anyone else to take that responsibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: radu08