+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I defer

unknown81

Aug 16, 2023
Hi guys,
I am in Canada now, and my semester starts this September
Can I defer my study to the next semester or year, while staying in Canada?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
It is best to speak with the international admissions at your school.
The OP's problem is that they are already in Canada, they can not stay in Canada and defer, if they weren't in Canada yet they could. If they defer now they are in violation of their study permit by not attending school as per their LOA and can/should be issued a removal order.

As you mention, as for the deferral they have to contact the school but that is besides the point unless they plan to leave until their new intake begins.

kash24newbie

Aug 12, 2023
The OP's problem is that they are already in Canada, they can not stay in Canada and defer, if they weren't in Canada yet they could. If they defer now they are in violation of their study permit by not attending school as per their LOA and can/should be issued a removal order.

As you mention, as for the deferral they have to contact the school but that is besides the point unless they plan to leave until their new intake begins.
E. Deferred enrollment
In exceptional circumstances, a student may be required to defer their program’s start date to the next semester. If the student defers their program start date, it should be formally approved by the DLI. In some cases, the deferral is imposed by the DLI.

If the study permit holder is in Canada at the time of deferral, and they wish to remain in Canada, they must begin their studies the following semester or within 150 days from the date the deferred enrollment is confirmed, whichever comes first. Otherwise, they should do either of the following:

Note: In all deferral cases, students should obtain an updated letter of acceptance from the DLI.

***From the website

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
E. Deferred enrollment
In exceptional circumstances, a student may be required to defer their program’s start date to the next semester. If the student defers their program start date, it should be formally approved by the DLI. In some cases, the deferral is imposed by the DLI.

If the study permit holder is in Canada at the time of deferral, and they wish to remain in Canada, they must begin their studies the following semester or within 150 days from the date the deferred enrollment is confirmed, whichever comes first. Otherwise, they should do either of the following:

Note: In all deferral cases, students should obtain an updated letter of acceptance from the DLI.

***From the website
I stand corrected, thanks. The DLI will have to inform IRCC that the OP has not started school as per their LOA and IRCC will wonder how the person will support themselves. They aren't allowed to work since they haven't started their studies. So as per what you posted they would have to change their status which is up to IRCC to approve. Only option is for a visitor visa.

Last edited:

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Note: while student may be allowed to defer, the student cannot work during the deferment. Question now is what would the student do during that time? Student would only spend money for several months on rent and groceries and other necessities.