+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I cross the border a few days before my oath?

Vitelle

Jul 11, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am planning to pick up some items at the border shipping place in Wayne. Will I have any problem crossing the border or entering Canada just a few days before my oath ceremony? Also, my original passport is expiring within 6 month and 20 days. I was going to renew it but I received the oath letter a few weeks ago.

Thank you :)

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
you should be ok as long as you have your PR card and passport with you. come back and take oath.

janoo

May 16, 2014
If you have to than travel and if you can avoid is better take the oath relex

and enjoy, any comment made by border immigration/cbsa staff at the

border make the thing go wrong... If I was in your place wait to get

the oath.... decision is yours..

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vitelle said:
Hi everyone,

I am planning to pick up some items at the border shipping place in Wayne. Will I have any problem crossing the border or entering Canada just a few days before my oath ceremony? Also, my original passport is expiring within 6 month and 20 days. I was going to renew it but I received the oath letter a few weeks ago.

Thank you :)
Depends on your risk outlook...crossing a border can be as smooth as it is problematic. Really depends on what the hold up is and if it impacts on citizenship processing. I'd wait for the oath...the shops will be there the day after!

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
janoo said:
If you have to than travel and if you can avoid is better take the oath relex

and enjoy, any comment made by border immigration/cbsa staff at the

border make the thing go wrong... If I was in your place wait to get

the oath.... decision is yours..
Guys, Travelling abroad is not a crime! why the heck one should avoid it?!!

If there is a decision already made and the guy is waiting for Oath nothing will happen nor affect the decision unless the applicant is either convicted or committed a citizenship application fraud.

Sophie_Anne

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
I agree. Travel without fear as long as you have a valid PR card and can re-enter Canada. Travelling is your right, how is this impacting your oath?

Vitelle

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks everyone, actually I'm just picking up photography equipments. It's being held at the post office there for 1 month already. I'm just afraid they will disposed my lights by the time I get my passport. There is a new rule from USPS starting in September that all customers who ship USPS parcels must complete and return a 1583 form. Parcels addressed that do not have an ID number associated with Form 1583, will be returned to sender by the post office.

cloee

Mar 5, 2013
We crossed the border a few days before our oath. As long as you have valid passport and PR card and you're not hiding stuff when you cross, you shouldn't be worried :)