28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,
Thank you for your response. Even though I am older, I am a veterinarian and think that I may have enough points to qualify for some of the programs that I have reviewed on the Canadian Immigration website. But, maybe I am totally wrong on that point. Granted I won't get any "bonus" point for my age!
Sorry - I missed the fact that you may be able to claim points for Canadian education. That should help. I would run the numbers all the same before renouncing your PR status. Also keep in mind that immigration programs change so what is true today may not be true in a year.

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
I would give it a shot at the border. You WILL be allowed into the country, as you are still a PR. You have that right.
The question is if you get reported or not.
If reported then you will be given paperwork to say as such. You have 30 days to appeal. As mentioned, this can take up to 1-2 years, with you living and working in Canada in the meantime. However if you don't have good reasons, such as H&C, which it doesn't sound like you do, then you will lose that appeal and have to leave.
If you don't want to appeal then you can simply renounce your PR and then leave within the 30 days.

If you did decide to renounce your PR then you can always apply again via express entry. There's really nothing to lose by trying at the border.

If you are lucky and do not get reported, then you must stay in Canada for at least two years to meet your residency obligation. Only after that 2 year period has comfortably passed should you then apply for a new PR card. I'm not sure about your access to healthcare, others will point you in the right direction.
Your SIN will allow you to work, and as already posted, there are ways to make this no longer dormant.

Good luck and please do let us know how you get on.

vskingdvm

Dec 30, 2020
Hi Shmiler,

Thank you for your input. My situation would be that I would also be travelling with my 3 small dogs in a car, so a little more difficult than if I was by myself in terms of the logistics especially if I have to travel 1200 miles to Canada and return another 1200 if I get turned away.

I am just curious, but does anyone have any actual experience with this? Or been in a similar situation?

I really don't wish to renounce since, even though I have been away for a long time, Canada has always been in my heart. But, I totally understand the stupidity of my being away for so long.

vskingdvm

Dec 30, 2020
I had a follow up question re: how I would present myself at the land border crossing. I have UK passport (British Citizen), my Canadian landing papers and my US permanent residency card. At the border if they ask my citizenship, then obviously I would say British but I am not sure what I would do after that if asked further.
On the US side, would I show my UK passport and US permanent resident card, then on the Canadian side show my UK passport and landing papers?

I am not trying to evade, but just don't want to give more information than necessary or say "the wrong thing". I haven't crossed the US/Canadian border for a long time now, so I have even forgot what they ask.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had a follow up question re: how I would present myself at the land border crossing. I have UK passport (British Citizen), my Canadian landing papers and my US permanent residency card. At the border if they ask my citizenship, then obviously I would say British but I am not sure what I would do after that if asked further.
On the US side, would I show my UK passport and US permanent resident card, then on the Canadian side show my UK passport and landing papers?

I am not trying to evade, but just don't want to give more information than necessary or say "the wrong thing". I haven't crossed the US/Canadian border for a long time now, so I have even forgot what they ask.
Given you are traveling with three pets, I don't see you have any choice but to declare that you are a returning Canadian permanent resident. Even if you don't declare this, CBSA computer systems should indicate this.

You will be allowed into Canada since you are technically still a PR. I don't think there's any chance you'll be refused entry. The question is whether or not you'll be reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement and have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be able to keep your status.

You won't show anything on the US side. You'll simply leave the US. There's no exit control at the land border. On the Canadian side, you'll show your original Canadian landing papers or old PR card if you have one, along with your UK passport.

Reactions: YVR123