+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I claim years of working experience while working and studying legitimately?

Winner01

Feb 6, 2020
Hello everyone, please I have a question.

Is it possible to claim years of foreign working experience while in school?

Here's my story.

I have recently done the ECA of two of my MSc degrees, one MSc was completed in September 2016, the other was completed in August 2018.
However, I've been working full time since I completed the first 2016 MSc. Working full time and studying full time in Nigeria is legal.

So right now, I want to get into the EE pool. Can I claim 3+ years of working experience from 2016 OR should I claim just 1 year working experience from my last degree in August 2018?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone, please I have a question.

Is it possible to claim years of foreign working experience while in school?

Here's my story.

I have recently done the ECA of two of my MSc degrees, one MSc was completed in September 2016, the other was completed in August 2018.
However, I've been working full time since I completed the first 2016 MSc. Working full time and studying full time in Nigeria is legal.

So right now, I want to get into the EE pool. Can I claim 3+ years of working experience from 2016 OR should I claim just 1 year working experience from my last degree in August 2018?
Working full-time while studying full-time is legal pretty much everywhere. You can claim your work experience.

Winner01

Feb 6, 2020
Working full-time while studying full-time is legal pretty much everywhere. You can claim your work experience.
Thank you. I was considering using only one year experience from my last degree which was in 2018 because I learnt I can't claim experience points while working despite the fact that I've been working since 2016. But if IRCC allows it, then I should claim my full 3years + experience

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you. I was considering using only one year experience from my last degree which was in 2018 because I learnt I can't claim experience points while working despite the fact that I've been working since 2016. But if IRCC allows it, then I should claim my full 3years + experience
The restriction is that people can't claim work experience gained while studying IN Canada.

Winner01

Feb 6, 2020
The restriction is that people can't claim work experience gained while studying IN Canada.
I see. So Canada is the only exception. But I feel this should have been specified on their website as it has confused a lot of people.

Also, do you think a LOE might be necessary when applying?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I see. So Canada is the only exception. But I feel this should have been specified on their website as it has confused a lot of people.

Also, do you think a LOE might be necessary when applying?
It is mentioned on the website. No, you don't need an LOE.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Tried to search for it but didn't find it. Can you please show me a screenshot. I need to prove it to the person who told me otherwise. Thanks.
The restriction about work while studying is explained in the CEC eligibility requirements.