+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I claim 3 years of exp.?

ngtran

Feb 11, 2020
I had 2 years and 8 months of continuous experience under one NOC, 1.5 years of disrupted work under slightly different NOCs. Am I able to claim 3 years of experience under Canada Express Entry? Thanks

Reactions: sri_12

sri_12

Feb 23, 2020
Whoa I have the same question! The thing is my CRS calculator scores are high but as soon as i make the express profile they go down!

Reactions: ngtran

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I had 2 years and 8 months of continuous experience under one NOC, 1.5 years of disrupted work under slightly different NOCs. Am I able to claim 3 years of experience under Canada Express Entry? Thanks
Is this for express entry eligibility?

You can't claim continuous work experience if there is a gap for eligibility question.

If you mean that you want to claim points on CRS calculator for 3 years experience under 2 different NOCs to make your experience equal to or greater than 3 years, then yes you can do that. You can claim CRS points in such a manner.

ngtran

Feb 11, 2020
Is this for express entry eligibility?

You can't claim continuous work experience if there is a gap for eligibility question.

If you mean that you want to claim points on CRS calculator for 3 years experience under 2 different NOCs to make your experience equal to or greater than 3 years, then yes you can do that. You can claim CRS points in such a manner.
Thanks Smash1984 for your prompt response. Just to confirm: I am eligible to enter the Express Entry pool with 1 year of continuous exp. in 1 NOC; and I can get maximum points for experience of three years (non-continuous, not in the same NOC) toward CRS. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. Thanks a lot!!

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Yes, your understanding is correct. You can claim CRS points for working under different NOCs. In your case you can claim 2 yrs 8 months under 1 NOC and 18 months under another NOC to make your valid experience greater than 3 years.

sri_12

Feb 23, 2020
@smash1984

Applying express entry - FSW program

I have a total work experience of 4.6 years all in NOC A. The first 1.9 years are in 1122 job type and I had a 4 month gap , post which I have had the 2.8 years of experience in 1123 band.

But in the express entry profile creation they have asked “foreign skilled continuous experience in past 10 years” the keyword being continuous. Here I could only mention 2-3 years I have a gap of 4 months in between.

My question to you is:
1. Can I go ahead and state 3 years or more in the express profile?? Will I be disqualified later if they do find out about the gap?
2. I have a 5 day gap in my final experience as I changed companies on the same role, do these count?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
@smash1984

I have a total work experience of 4.6 years all in NOC A. The first 1.9 years are in 1122 job type and I had a 4 month gap , post which I have had the 2.8 years of experience in 1123 band.

But in the express entry profile creation they have asked “foreign skilled continuous experience in past 10 years” the keyword being continuous. Here I could only mention 2-3 years I have a gap of 4 months in between.

My question to you is:
1. Can I go ahead and state 3 years or more in the express profile?? Will I be disqualified later if they do find out about the gap?
2. I have a 5 day gap in my final experience as I changed companies on the same role, do these count?
There are 2 stages. First stage is the eligibility for EE. If you clear that then you can go to stage 2. In Stage 2 you calculate your CRS points.

1) you can only claim 2 - 3 year of continuous experience in stage 1 because there is a gap in your work experience. But let's assume that 2-3 years of continuous experience gives you 75 points out of 100 and you qualify for stage 2. Now in stage 2 you can make your express entry profile and can claim points for all 4.6 years. There is no requirement of continuity in stage 2. I my self claimed 2.2 years + 1.8 years with a gap of 2 years in between (I had same NOC for both).

2) What do you mean? You switched companies while working in a role and your job in new company was same as in the first one? You can claim points in stage 2 for this but not in stage 1.

i hope this is clear now.

sri_12

Feb 23, 2020
There are 2 stages. First stage is the eligibility for EE. If you clear that then you can go to stage 2. In Stage 2 you calculate your CRS points.

1) you can only claim 2 - 3 year of continuous experience in stage 1 because there is a gap in your work experience. But let's assume that 2-3 years of continuous experience gives you 75 points out of 100 and you qualify for stage 2. Now in stage 2 you can make your express entry profile and can claim points for all 4.6 years. There is no requirement of continuity in stage 2. I my self claimed 2.2 years + 1.8 years with a gap of 2 years in between (I had same NOC for both).

2) What do you mean? You switched companies while working in a role and your job in new company was same as in the first one? You can claim points in stage 2 for this but not in stage 1.

i hope this is clear now.

Hi I am not clear about what these stage 1 and 2 are.

I took the eligibility questionnaire I am eligible and get a much higher point. But when I created the profile, because of this particular question the points reduced as the CRS calculator question was not this specific.

I am in the profile phase, where I have created my account and got the score as 471. I am asking this question as the answer could give me 20 point addition and would surely give me an invite.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi I am not clear about what these stage 1 and 2 are.

I took the eligibility questionnaire I am eligible and get a much higher point. But when I created the profile, because of this particular question the points reduced as the CRS calculator question was not this specific.

I am in the profile phase, where I have created my account and got the score as 471. I am asking this question as the answer could give me 20 point addition and would surely give me an invite.
So if you are eligible for express entry and can make the profile then the continuous work experience condition does not apply.

How many years of skilled work experience you can select 3 or more years.

sri_12

Feb 23, 2020
So if you are eligible for express entry and can make the profile then the continuous work experience condition does not apply.

How many years of skilled work experience you can select 3 or more years.

Okay, just to clear my understanding. Once I meet the one-year requirement, any more experience with further gaps don't matter, correct? If choose the 3 years option, once I get invited and submit my details. Will CIC reject my application because there are gaps??

Sorry to ask so many questions, I've heard CIC is really picky and I want to be absolutely sure. Their helpline ironically of no help.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Okay, just to clear my understanding. Once I meet the one-year requirement, any more experience with further gaps don't matter, correct? If choose the 3 years option, once I get invited and submit my details. Will CIC reject my application because there are gaps??

Sorry to ask so many questions, I've heard CIC is really picky and I want to be absolutely sure. Their helpline ironically of no help.
yes, once you are eligible to make the EE profile, you won't be penalized for having gaps in your work experience. You can choose 3 years of experience.