+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I change work visa to 90 days tourist?

cal31

Feb 16, 2016
Hi There

My IEC open work visa expires in early March. Can i stay in the country for the 90 days as a tourist straight after the end date on my work permit? or do i need to apply to be a tourist?

or.....do i have to leave the country then come back? how does it work.

I would like to work up until March then have 90 days to stay in Canada and be a tourist.

Thank you

cal31

Feb 16, 2016
thank you!! I have read that. but what i want to know now is can i work up until a week before my work permit expires. then be granted tourist status.

I dont want to get the tourist status too early because then im guessing it would null my worker status and i would have to immediately stop working.

Do you think i can possibly apply like a week before instead of 30 days.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Did you look at the form http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5708E.pdf page 3 of 5 where you put in the start / end date of your stay as a visitor ?

You enter the details of your current permit and worker status to flips to visitor when your IEC expires, the 30 day window is to ensure that an applicant applies in time before their in country status expires so you work up to the expiry of your IEC work permit .

You could wait until the week before to apply and once your IEC expires remain in Canada on implied status until a decision has been made. The decision is yours to make but of course waiting for an outcome there is always a possibility of rejection as opposed to applying in good time say a 2/3 weeks in advance to get everything lined up

videsh

Nov 27, 2017
Did you look at the form http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5708E.pdf page 3 of 5 where you put in the start / end date of your stay as a visitor ?

You enter the details of your current permit and worker status to flips to visitor when your IEC expires, the 30 day window is to ensure that an applicant applies in time before their in country status expires so you work up to the expiry of your IEC work permit .

You could wait until the week before to apply and once your IEC expires remain in Canada on implied status until a decision has been made. The decision is yours to make but of course waiting for an outcome there is always a possibility of rejection as opposed to applying in good time say a 2/3 weeks in advance to get everything lined up

videsh

Nov 27, 2017
Hi Bs65,

It seems you are expert in immigration system. I am from USA on hib looking for immigration or workpermit in Canada. Could you please help me on immigration my contact mail id vikkymail72@gmail.com thanks