+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I change my spouse visa to study visa after divorce ?

Rida Syed

Dec 30, 2016
Hey,

I am Conditional PR holder I need to know........married since Jan 2013 but landed Canada 3 months ago

"can I change my spouse visa to study visa after divorce
?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't change one for the other.

You would first have to officially give up your PR status. Once you do that, you would have to leave Canada. Once you are outside of Canada, you could then apply for a study permit provided you have the funds to pay for your studies in Canada and provided you have already been accepted into a program in Canada. You'll need to show a bank balance of $25K or more to be approved.

Rida Syed

Dec 30, 2016
scylla said:
You can't change one for the other.

You would first have to officially give up your PR status. Once you do that, you would have to leave Canada. Once you are outside of Canada, you could then apply for a study permit provided you have the funds to pay for your studies in Canada and provided you have already been accepted into a program in Canada. You'll need to show a bank balance of $25K or more to be approved.

I do belong to conservative family where I can get killed by my family for some honor killing for taking divorce from my husband . I was forced to get married to my husband by my family but he didn't knew about it back in Pakistan . It isn't his fault but I can't continue my marriage.

My some family members do live here too and they are Canadian nationals but I knew they will not support me

Please do guide me ,no one is here to guide me. I am all alone here .

I really want to get out of this relation , I am new to Canada ....I don't know how it works here

what are my options ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't divorce him immediately. In Canada, you must separate first (live apart for at least one year at different addresses) before you can file for divorce. So if you want to divorce your husband, the first step would be to separate for a full year.

It's difficult for any of us here to really advise you since you are under conditional permanent residency. As I'm sure you know, this means you are supposed to live with your sponsor for two years after you come to Canada in order to keep PR status. Having said that, the current government is talking about doing away with conditional PR. So even if you leave your husband, it's possible nothing may happen and you might get to keep your PR status.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
It should be worthy asking a Canadian lawyer about divorce and separation before do something, to be sure you're doing the right steps.