+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I change from an asylum seeker to a highly skilled work permit after I have applied for asylum.

agiandee

Jul 24, 2018
Dear all please I would like to know if I can apply for a skilled work permit after I have applied as an asylum seeker in Canada. I want to get a TRV visa to Canada and at point of entry apply as an asylum seeker.But within the process time which takes over 20months.can I follow the due process and now apply for a skilled work permit before my hearing for my asylum .Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all please I would like to know if I can apply for a skilled work permit after I have applied as an asylum seeker in Canada. I want to get a TRV visa to Canada and at point of entry apply as an asylum seeker.But within the process time which takes over 20months.can I follow the due process and now apply for a skilled work permit before my hearing for my asylum .Thank you.
No - you can't.

You'll be out of status in Canada by that time and you cannot apply for PR from within Canada unless you have valid status in Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
As an asylum seeker, there is almost zero possibility of you being granted a TRV in support of a closed work permit.
@scylla has already covered the PR application aspect in the previous post.

agiandee

Jul 24, 2018
Am not trying to game the system I just wanted to know if you can switch status after applying as an asylum seeker and you hearing is waiting.Thanks very much for your advise.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Adding to @PMM statement, if OP withdraws his refugee claim and receives a removal order, any future travels to Canada and possibly to any countries would be refused due to his past refugee claim.

agiandee

Jul 24, 2018
Thanks very much everyone for your information and advise.please can anyone tell me where the best airport to land to seek asylum in Canad is.Toronto or Montreal which is the best landing airport when trying to seek asylum at arrival with a TRV visa.