+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I buy a house while waiting for PR

Paul48

Star Member
Dec 19, 2017
I still haven't gotten my COPR (AOR April) and I want to buy a house in GTA.
Will I have to pay the "non-resident speculation tax" even though I've already applied for PR? Anyone having experience on this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Will I have to pay the "non-resident speculation tax" even though I've already applied for PR? Anyone having experience on this?
Yes, you'll need to pay.

cicmagician

Star Member
Apr 20, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
09/04/2020
AOR Received.
18/04/2020
Med's Done....
11/06/2020
There might be a reimbursement if you get your PR. I am not so sure but I think I've been told smth like that by my friend. Just have a look at it with a realtor

azizunreal

Oct 27, 2020
Yes you can - but there is no escape from the Non-Resident Speculation Tax.

I called CRA and also the Ontario Tax office and waited an hour on the phone to confirm. They said the only exemptions are if you are an Ontario sponsored immigrant or a refugee.

The irony is not lost on us - we can be qualified to work here on a work permit and earn money but cannot buy a house without a PR but if you're a refugee, that's okay.

You can apply for a rebate after the PR is issued so if you have a couple of hundred thousands lying about, you can take this route.

Paul48

Star Member
Dec 19, 2017
Yes you can - but there is no escape from the Non-Resident Speculation Tax.

I called CRA and also the Ontario Tax office and waited an hour on the phone to confirm. They said the only exemptions are if you are an Ontario sponsored immigrant or a refugee.

The irony is not lost on us - we can be qualified to work here on a work permit and earn money but cannot buy a house without a PR but if you're a refugee, that's okay.

You can apply for a rebate after the PR is issued so if you have a couple of hundred thousands lying about, you can take this route.
That's unfortunate :(

I actually got a Notification of Interest (NOI) from Ontario, back in January. I've applied but then I got an ITA a few weeks later and didn't use the points from the province. Does this change anything?

Also, am I considered a PR for the Non-Resident Speculation Tax the very moment I receive the COPR? Do I prove it by updating the SIN number?

Paul48

Star Member
Dec 19, 2017
If you have received the nomination certificate and not just NOI then you are exempt from the tax.

"An exemption from the NRST may be available in the following situations:

• Nominee – A foreign national who is nominated under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (nominee) at the time of the purchase or acquisition, and the foreign national has applied or certifies that they will apply to become a permanent resident of Canada"

Doesn't say you must have used the certificate, just that you have one and have applied for PR.
I just received the email stating they processed my application and wanted to give me the "certificate", but my profile wasn't in the pool anymore because I got an ITA before. I guess it doesn't count then...

CanVisa1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2017
Would appreciate anyone's reply.

I am in Canada since last 1 year and 6 months and my PR is in process. If I want to buy a house, will NRST be applicable to me given the fact that I am a resident in Canada?