+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I ask for a deferral to wait for my PR?

arialves

Oct 9, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am currently waiting for my PR status in Canada and previously enrolled for the Summer 2019 intake at Douglas College as an international student. However, I am currently waiting for my PR status and want to postpone my intake for Fall 2019 as a domestic student. Is it valid to ask for a deferral giving the reason I will wait for my PR status to start College in the next intake? Are there chances for deferral to be disapproved?
Note I don't have or asked for a Study Permit yet.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but whether you can defer your course start date is something to discuss between you and the college if they will accept or not. Given you have not applied for a study permit yet then that seems to be the only action to take .

No way to predict whether the college will accept your enrollment based on speculation that you may become a PR , unlikely I would think but only the college can say not this forum.

By waiting in Canada how do you plan to maintain your legal status for what may be an unpredictable timeline ?

arialves

Oct 9, 2018
Others can comment as well but whether you can defer your course start date is something to discuss between you and the college if they will accept or not. Given you have not applied for a study permit yet then that seems to be the only action to take .

No way to predict whether the college will accept your enrollment based on speculation that you may become a PR , unlikely I would think but only the college can say not this forum.

By waiting in Canada how do you plan to maintain your legal status for what may be an unpredictable timeline ?
To better clarify, I already have an Open work permit and got the Invitation to apply in January. Although it is not 100% sure, I will probably have my PR status in the next intake (September).
With that being said, do you believe I can get a deferral from Douglas?