+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply work permit and PR together if my spouse has visitor visa?

Betterfuture16

May 12, 2016
My wife has a visitor visa and she is in Canada now. It's being 6months that we married and I didn't apply the PR yet. I heard that since we have a visitor visa she can get the open work permit if we apply for work permit along with PR.
Please advise me.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Betterfuture16

May 12, 2016
My wife has a visitor visa and she is in Canada now. It's being 6months that we married and I didn't apply the PR yet. I heard that since we have a visitor visa she can get the open work permit if we apply for work permit along with PR.
Please advise me.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Please guys help me.

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Yes as long as her visitors status remains valid you can apply for an open work permit if you do an inland sponsorship application

Her status has to remain valid though in order for her to qualify IRCC has a huge backlog so I definitely recommend checking processing times before setting any expectations as to how soon your spouse will get the permit

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Please advise me.

Thank you

Kind Regards
Make sure that you extend her stay as a visitor so that she keep a valid status. Unless stamped with a different date on her passport when she entered Canada, her vistior status is valid up to 6 months from her entry. If she has stayed passed 6 months and didn't apply for an extension, she needs to apply to restore her status ASAP.