+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply SIN in another province?

ourcanadavisa

Nov 24, 2016
Hi,

Im a PNP applicant and completed the soft landing recently. Im not moving to my nominated province immediately. Can I apply for the SIN from another province? I heard that each province has SIN identified by a starting number. I want to get SIN number and open a bank account from another province.

Kindly reply.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why not walk-in to a Service Canada location and ask? Prepare to book ahead or join the crowd of lineup.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Why not walk-in to a Service Canada location and ask? Prepare to book ahead or join the crowd of lineup.
OP is asking about the impact of applying for a SIN in another province (not the nominating province) and the potential impact on PNP. Service Canada is definitely not going to be able to answer this question.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

Im a PNP applicant and completed the soft landing recently. Im not moving to my nominated province immediately. Can I apply for the SIN from another province? I heard that each province has SIN identified by a starting number. I want to get SIN number and open a bank account from another province.

Kindly reply.
If you aren't settling in that first province, then why don't you wait till you actually arrive at your PNP province? You are not yet working.. so why not wait till then to apply for SIN. (Most get their number right away)

Some do visit another province for a few weeks first before they settle. That will have no impact to their PNP if they eventually find a job and settle in the PNP province.

I don't have the answer to your exact question.

Reactions: dadofethan

dadofethan

Oct 6, 2020
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Done....
06-01-2021
If you aren't settling in that first province, then why don't you wait till you actually arrive at your PNP province? You are not yet working.. so why not wait till then to apply for SIN. (Most get their number right away)

Some do visit another province for a few weeks first before they settle. That will have no impact to their PNP if they eventually find a job and settle in the PNP province.

I don't have the answer to your exact question.
I am in this scenario you described. I am landing in Vancouver and plan to spend 2 weeks there because I have a friend and former co-worker who is there whereas I do not know a single person in the province that nominated me. My friend in Vancouver said he wants to help me apply for everything necessary before I go to my nominated province. Do you still recommend that I wait before I get my SIN? If yes, what can I get done in Vancouver while I am there for 2 weeks with the assistance of a Canadian resident?

Related question: in my PNP nomination I swore to reside in the province to get their nomination. Given IT is largely remote work especially after the pandemic, if I work for a different province-based company while residing in my nominated province (renting a house, paying bills, groceries, my kid going to school) then this should be fine right?

Said1010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
Hi,

Kindly reply.
@legalfalcon please can we have your feedback.
Thx

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't believe the SIN number link to province matters at all, it's just an hjistoric and likely statistical thing.

PNP nomination and working remote: my gut reaction doesn't matter as you would utlimately pay taxes based on where you reside. BUT: please check somehow, it really will depend on whether there is any requirement that you work for a local business. Probably they haven't got that specific but most of these programs were not designed with remote working world in mind.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Please @legalfalcon could you let me know if I can apply for SIN in QC as a non QC FSW applicant?
SIN is a federal matter and you can apply for a SIN anywhere in Canada at any Service Canada location.

Reactions: DavidBurke

VBha

Aug 11, 2017
Hi,

Kindly reply.
Hi,

What did you eventually do? Applied for SIN in nominated province or province where you landed? We are in similar predicament, and some feedback will help make a decision.
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

What did you eventually do? Applied for SIN in nominated province or province where you landed? We are in similar predicament, and some feedback will help make a decision.
Thanks
As others have indicated getting your SIN from another province because you’re doing a soft landing isn’t an issue.

Reactions: VBha