+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i apply for work permit while waiting for result of visitor extension?

solea05

Oct 18, 2011
Hi everyone. im a newbie in this forum and i would like to ask for your advise/thoughts..

im under visitor visa, arrived in Canada May 2011. I applied for extension of visa last month, since my status expires Nov. 12. I found an employer, lmo is expected to come out end of this month, and by then i plan to submit application of work permit in Seattle. When i called cic this morning about status of my extension for visitor visa, the agent said they are currently processing applications submitted May of this year and my application is expected to be reviewed after 120 days (which is more or less january of 2012) My question is can i apply for work permit pending the result of my application for extension? Im worried that Seattle Consulate would see me as 'out of status' since my extension application hasn't been finalized.

I hope someone can help me.
Big thanks in advance..

solea05

Oct 18, 2011
JOB_SEEKER, i need your help....

i hope someone can help me with my query. JOB_SEEKER, please help! im on a tourist visa, and applied for extension (no reply yet) and plans to submit my application work permit to Seattle...

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Re: JOB_SEEKER, i need your help....

You can send your application for WP once you have the positive LMO. Attach copies of your current status (marked pages of your passport of when you arrived in Canada), bio page of passport, proof that you have sent an application for extension (copy of the receipt you paid for your visitor extension application), proof that you qualify for the position you are applying for and proof that you have enough funds for the duration of your stay while awaiting result of your WP/visa application. Hope you have a US visa should you be called for interview (Seattle does not always call for interview though)

solea05 said:
i hope someone can help me with my query. JOB_SEEKER, please help! im on a tourist visa, and applied for extension (no reply yet) and plans to submit my application work permit to Seattle...

solea05

Oct 18, 2011
Thank you for replying, Jobseeker. I understand i dont have to send my actual passport yet? I thought i saw in the requirements that i have to send it together with my other documents (or maybe im confused already; been checkin a lot of Canadian Embassies). My US visa expired just last week and last time i used it was in Seattle last May for visit. In case they call for interview...well, thats another problem ::). Will take one step at a time.

Again, thanks much. You're a big help, to a lot of people here. :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If it's one of the requirements then by all means send it too :) Was you US visa single entry?

solea05 said:
Thank you for replying, Jobseeker. I understand i dont have to send my actual passport yet? I thought i saw in the requirements that i have to send it together with my other documents (or maybe im confused already; been checkin a lot of Canadian Embassies). My US visa expired just last week and last time i used it was in Seattle last May for visit. In case they call for interview...well, thats another problem ::). Will take one step at a time.

Again, thanks much. You're a big help, to a lot of people here. :)

solea05

Oct 18, 2011
My US visa was 5years multiple, (used it and enjoyed it a couple of times ;) ) and sadly, expired while am here in Canada and 'might' have to use it again (oh no, Seattle haha). Hope against hope na lang..

Positive all the time.

solea05

Oct 18, 2011
Job_seeker...one more question pls

Hi job_seeker.

I am wondering if i can submit open study permit application of my son, together with my work permit application in Seattle. Thing is, my son went home (from Vancouver, he came here with me) to Manila because he has to attend school. I, on the other hand, stayed to check other options. Seattle website says that if your children will accompany you then applications must be submitted together with your application. If children will follow on a later date, they should apply separate application. My son is 8 and he's in Manila now. Can i submit his application/passport to Seattle (same time with mine) even if he's in the Philippines?

Appreciate your help again. Thanks job_seeker