+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i apply for study permit extension earlier that 3 months before permit expiration?

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
My study permit and visa are about to expire on August 31, 2021. If I get confirmation from the University that my program was extended, can I apply for a permit and visa right now? I saw somewhere, that you have to apply for a permit and visa extension not earlier than 3 months before expiration, in my case, it should be the end of May. Thank you!

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
et confirmation from the University that my program was extended, can I apply for a permit and visa right now? I saw somewhere, that you have to apply for a permit and visa extension not earlier than 3 months be
There's no 3 month date being mentioned.
You are fine to apply anytime. As long as you have the documents for the next term, you're good.

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
I have same question. I was told by IRCC agent on the phone that one should not apply more than 90 days before expiration of the permit (which I find weird in these times will all the delays, you would think you should apply as soon as you can) and there is a risk of refusal of application.

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
My study permit and visa are about to expire on August 31, 2021. If I get confirmation from the University that my program was extended, can I apply for a permit and visa right now? I saw somewhere, that you have to apply for a permit and visa extension not earlier than 3 months before expiration, in my case, it should be the end of May. Thank you!

Did you end up applying earlier than 3 months nd did you get it ?

UBC 2017

Apr 8, 2017
I have same question. I was told by IRCC agent on the phone that one should not apply more than 90 days before expiration of the permit (which I find weird in these times will all the delays, you would think you should apply as soon as you can) and there is a risk of refusal of application.
I do not see an issue, in fact the earlier the better if you are ready. My University advised me to apply 3-4 months early.

ashrut05

Jul 16, 2020
I advise you to apply ASAP. I applied on January 17th and I am still waiting. Some people on reddit have been waiting for over a year.