+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for Permanent Residence if I only wanna live but not work in Canada?

Mandog1215

Jan 14, 2020
U.S. citizen here. I am currently 16 and plan on moving to Canada when I turn 18, and have no intentions on getting a job, but to start up my band in Canada. The reason I would like to move to Canada is that I’ve heard nothing but good things about Canada and I’ve been increasingly hating our president Lately and with all the mass shootings and what not going on, combined with the new smoking at 21 laws. So my question here is, can I apply for permanent residence if I don’t wanna get a job, I have a aunt and uncle who are Canadian citizens, but are not Canadian born, but instead were born in Poland. Didnt know if that meant anything or not. I would love to live in Canada! So please help.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
U.S. citizen here. I am currently 16 and plan on moving to Canada when I turn 18, and have no intentions on getting a job, but to start up my band in Canada. The reason I would like to move to Canada is that I’ve heard nothing but good things about Canada and I’ve been increasingly hating our president Lately and with all the mass shootings and what not going on, combined with the new smoking at 21 laws. So my question here is, can I apply for permanent residence if I don’t wanna get a job, I have a aunt and uncle who are Canadian citizens, but are not Canadian born, but instead were born in Poland. Didnt know if that meant anything or not. I would love to live in Canada! So please help.
Yes - you can immigrate to Canada even if you have no intention of working.

You should be aware that you won't be able to qualify when you are 18. To get Canadian permanent residency, you will have to qualify and be selected based on your level of education, years of skilled work experience, language abilities, funds saved up to establish yourself in Canada and other factors. At 18, you won't meet these requirements. You will need to wait until you finish high school and complete additional schooling (ideally a Master's degree) and have a few years of skilled work experience before you will qualify and have a good chance of being selected for PR.

Having an aunt and uncle who are Canadian doesn't help you. You need to qualify for PR on your own.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If it was that easy, many, many, US citizens would be applying for Canadian PR.
I've no intention of being political here but there are a number of incentives to move North.