+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for outland family sponsorship residing in Canada and then go back to home country?

Nurlanto

Oct 2, 2020
Hi there,

I have recently become a Canadian permanent resident and now I want to sponsor my spouse whom I married before landing. I realise that for this I have to apply for Outland Family sponsorship which will take time up to 12 months. So my question is as following:
- Can I apply for outland family sponsorship residing in Canada and then go back to home country to stay with my spouse for some period of time?
- Or do I have to stay in Canada prior to my spouse joining me once her application is approved?
- If so is a there a specific time frame that I have to be residing in Canada prior to the process being completed?

I am looking forward to getting any feedback…

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I have recently become a Canadian permanent resident and now I want to sponsor my spouse whom I married before landing. I realise that for this I have to apply for Outland Family sponsorship which will take time up to 12 months. So my question is as following:
- Can I apply for outland family sponsorship residing in Canada and then go back to home country to stay with my spouse for some period of time?
- Or do I have to stay in Canada prior to my spouse joining me once her application is approved?
- If so is a there a specific time frame that I have to be residing in Canada prior to the process being completed?

You have to remain in Canada while the application is being processed. Short trips outside of Canada are OK (e.g. a few weeks). Anything longer risks your application being refused for failing to live in Canada. PRs are required to be living in Canada in order to qualify to sponsor.

I'm assuming you declared your spouse in your PR application.

Reactions: armoured

Miffyjessica

Jul 9, 2020
I also send the forms to Canada on Feb 2020 (apply for outland family sponsorship) and we have not received any information or replied from them. But I think we will wait for their reply and Land paper. Then we will return back to Canada.

Someone will return back to Canada and apply inland family sponsorship. But it also need to wait more times again. If you no need to ship any goods to Canada. You can try to apply inland family sponsorship.

Nurlanto

Oct 2, 2020
I also send the forms to Canada on Feb 2020 (apply for outland family sponsorship) and we have not received any information or replied from them. But I think we will wait for their reply and Land paper. Then we will return back to Canada.

Someone will return back to Canada and apply inland family sponsorship. But it also need to wait more times again. If you no need to ship any goods to Canada. You can try to apply inland family sponsorship.
Sorry, I did not understand your case properly.. So you mean that you sponsored your spouse (outland) and now you both stay in your home country waiting for any update of your application? Could you please clarify?

Miffyjessica

Jul 9, 2020
yes, both staying in home country. And we will go on to wait their feedback and Land Paper.
Coz, we need to ship personal goods to Canada home. If no Land Paper, we need to pay the Tax

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
yes, both staying in home country. And we will go on to wait their feedback and Land Paper.
Coz, we need to ship personal goods to Canada home. If no Land Paper, we need to pay the Tax
Are you a Canadian citizen or a PR? Because it clearly states that as a PR you have to reside in Canada during inland/outland sponsorship.

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Could you please tell me what is the longest period I could stay outside Canada while waiting for Family sponsorship is being processed?

And somewhere here I also read that it is OK to move back to home country and wait for the process being completed. So do you have a plausible source of your message or is it based on assumptions/experience?

I just want to be confident on my next steps. Thank you in advance!
It’s quite clear in the eligibility guidelines for spousal sponsorship that a Canadian PR must reside in Canada to be eligible to sponsor.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

Yes, some users on this forum have cited anecdotal evidence that suggests they were able to do something similar to what you’re suggesting but if the officer handling your file were to discover you returned to your home country (they will) and perceive that you’re living there, you could be found ineligible to sponsor.

By all means you could risk it based upon some accounts of users here but it could jeopardise your app.

Reactions: mashulia_26

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry, I did not understand your case properly.. So you mean that you sponsored your spouse (outland) and now you both stay in your home country waiting for any update of your application? Could you please clarify?
This is not possible. You must remain in Canada during the sponsorship period. A short visit of 2-3 weeks seem to be overlooked.

You never answered whether you declared that you got married before landing and whether your spouse did the medical, etc. as the non-accompanying spouse.

Reactions: mashulia_26

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi there,

Did you apply for PR and then got married and then perform landing in Canada?
Or did you apply for PR, landed and then went back to home country before getting married.
This is a very important question.

Any PR needs to LIVE in Canada while applying for spousal sponsorship. Expected to be seperated until your spouse's PR is approved unless your spouse can obtain a visitor visa to travel to Canada. (I assum she is not visa exempted)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi there,

If I am reading your post correctly, did you land as PR and did not declare your spouse since you got married before landing? If this is the case, you cannot sponsor your spouse for PR at all.