+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I apply for open work permit if I'm in the express entry pool?

clt

Feb 20, 2023
I’m still waiting for my invitation, but my post grad work permit is expiring soon. I was wondering if I can apply for an open work permit while I wait for the invitation. Also, I might be excepted for LMIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I’m still waiting for my invitation, but my post grad work permit is expiring soon. I was wondering if I can apply for an open work permit while I wait for the invitation. Also, I might be excepted for LMIA
You only qualify for a BOWP after you have received ITA and submitted your complete application (and received AOR). So you do not qualify at this time.

When does your PGWP expire and how many points do you have?

If you are LMIA-exempt, then you can apply for a closed work permit.

clt

Feb 20, 2023
You only qualify for a BOWP after you have received ITA and submitted your complete application (and received AOR). So you do not qualify at this time.

When does your PGWP expire and how many points do you have?

If you are LMIA-exempt, then you can apply for a closed work permit.
My PGWP expires on June 15. I have 433 points.

Does my employer need to do anything or it’s just me applying through IRCC?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My PGWP expires on June 15. I have 433 points.

Does my employer need to do anything or it’s just me applying through IRCC?
See the guide:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

Offers of Employment from a specific employer for LMIA-exempt foreign workers
If an employer is offering you a specific job, then you need an Offer of Employment number. In order to obtain this number, the employer must use the Employer Portal to:
  • submit the offer of employment information and
  • pay the $230 employer compliance fee or upload proof of their fee exemption
Make sure the employer gives you the Offer of Employment number before you submit your work permit application. The Offer of Employment number starts with an “A” and is followed by 7 numbers.

Reactions: clt

Sulivar

Mar 15, 2023
See the guide:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

If an employer is offering you a specific job, then you need an Offer of Employment number. In order to obtain this number, the employer must use the Employer Portal to:
we become what we behold
Make sure the employer gives you the Offer of Employment number before you submit your work permit application. The Offer of Employment number starts with an “A” and is followed by 7 numbers.
Many thanks for the detailed support including fees. Thanks a lot

clt

Feb 20, 2023
See the guide:

Thank you so much! Do you know if I have to make the median salary to be able to get accepted for a closed work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much! Do you know if I have to make the median salary to be able to get accepted for a closed work permit?
Don't know.