+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for my study visa and my spouse's work permit together? Please advice.

Gurleen_Rangi

Sep 28, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently got admission in the college and I am going to apply for study visa in the coming days for Jan 2020 batch.
I am married for almost 2 years and my husband is a govt. employee in India, and I am a lecturer. I am applying for my study visa, and wants to know if I should apply for my husband's work visa at the same time. Has anyone done this before. Please share your experience as I am in dilemma.
Thank You.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can apply at the same time, but it's probably not a good idea. Applying to bring your spouse right away shows you're uprooting your ties to your home country and casts doubt on your intent to return there. In general spousal work permits are commonly refused at the college level.

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
Hi everyone,

I recently got admission in the college and I am going to apply for study visa in the coming days for Jan 2020 batch.
I am married for almost 2 years and my husband is a govt. employee in India, and I am a lecturer. I am applying for my study visa, and wants to know if I should apply for my husband's work visa at the same time. Has anyone done this before. Please share your experience as I am in dilemma.
Thank You.
I personally applied for both study and SOWP in August. I got an approval but we are still waiting for the final decision for my husband. We both held F1 and F2 visas right before applying, but this is what embassy in my country suggested us to do. At the end of the day, it's up to both of you, but it also depends if you have visas to "hard visa countries" and travel history in general, as well as your finances. You don't need an agent to apply for visa for you, BUT we had a consultation with study consultant (certified) and it was helpful to get answers from her and have her read our letters

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can apply straight away in Canada. The chances of approval are just okay. Refusals are more common for college students than for master's/PhD students.

Gurleen_Rangi

Sep 28, 2020
You can apply at the same time, but it's probably not a good idea. Applying to bring your spouse right away shows you're uprooting your ties to your home country and casts doubt on your intent to return there. In general spousal work permits are commonly refused at the college level.
Thank you for the reply. What you are saying makes sense . So should I apply for my husband's work visa after I come to Canada.
1. Can I apply right away after I come? or should I wait for few weeks/months before applying ?
2. What are the chances of approval.
3. Is there something I need to take care of when applying for his visa?
I really appreciate your help

Gurleen_Rangi

Sep 28, 2020
If we both apply the visa's together, will the visa's be processed separately or together?I was thinking that we can take a chance and apply both the visa's together. If we both get accepted, it will be great. if not, they will issue my study visa, and rejects my husband's work visa.
Is it recommended to take this chance.?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The work permit application is dependent on your study permit application. Don't assume they won't refuse your study permit.

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
If we both apply the visa's together, will the visa's be processed separately or together?I was thinking that we can take a chance and apply both the visa's together. If we both get accepted, it will be great. if not, they will issue my study visa, and rejects my husband's work visa.
Is it recommended to take this chance.?
It is going to be split into two separate application. You might get an earlier approval than him. If you are afraid, you may apply for TRV for your husband and possibly travel together, and figure out a plan when you are already in Canada

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
my husband is a govt. employee in India
This would add a challenge to your husband's case. You have to fill in additional forms about your job in government, military, judicial, etc. I guess here you do need a consultation in order to write good SOP

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
This would add a challenge to your husband's case. You have to fill in additional forms about your job in government, military, judicial, etc. I guess here you do need a consultation in order to write good SOP
Not really. You just have to indicate government employment on the application form.

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
Not really. You just have to indicate government employment on the application form.
Oh true, just looked it over and you are correct. You might need to fill in an additional form if an officer asks him to

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
It is going to be split into two separate application. You might get an earlier approval than him. If you are afraid, you may apply for TRV for your husband and possibly travel together, and figure out a plan when you are already in Canada
This is the best way forward. Unless you can prove you have to be in Canada before April 2021, you'll likely start classes remotely in Jan. This gives you enough time to apply fora TRV for your spouse so that by the time borders open, you can both hopefully travel together.